Fight for Love: Chapter 23

The ever growing pile of ledgers Erwin has bestowed upon me seems so daunting, but I continued to run my eyes carefully over each ledger and scrawl Erwin's name at the bottom. While I continue to work on the ledgers I keep an eye on Erwin, even though he went to sleep with me last night it's obvious he didn't sleep well. The dark circles underneath his eyes are more prominent than ever and a barely audible sigh kept escaping his lips. Coffee seems like such a good idea right now, for the both of us, but it seems almost forbidden to move in the tense atmosphere. So, I kept on keeping on.
Flipping over another finished ledger, I hear another sigh come from Erwin and look up in his direction with worried eyes. The hand that has been in constant motion for the past two hours is still, assuming its a chance to break his concentration I move aside the ledgers and stand up to stretch.
Erwin looks up and eyes me curiously,"We need to get out of this office." I say.
Erwin shakes his head,"I have work to finish."
"Just for a couple minutes,"I coax him,"Just long enough for us to go get a hot cup of coffee and too stretch our legs." I walk around his desk and pick up his hands.
His eyes flicker in between the ledgers and my hands,"But-"
"No if, ands or buts about it." I proclaim and pull him out of his chair.
He still seems torn,"Come on!" I say with a sigh,"Doesn't a cup of coffee sound so good right about now?"
He sighs,"Fine," I cheer quietly,"But only for a couple minutes."
Smiling I quickly salute him,"Yes, sir!" I announce with amusement in my tone.
He rolls his eyes and flashes me a small smile,"Lead the way."
I nod my head and grab his hand without a moments hesitation to tug him toward the door and out into the empty hallway. He gently shakes my hand off and walks next to me, our elbows keep brushing against each other and when I glance at him out of the corner of my eye he flashes me a gentle smile.
"So, what have you been working on?" I ask with a curious tone and fold my hands directly in front of me.
"A plan." He answers, simply.
I roll my eyes,"Anything else?"
"No, we have to do whatever we can to get the Shifter into our custody," His tone is formal,"There is nothing else for me to work on."
"Understandable."
We relapse into silence again as we walk into the cafeteria to retrieve two cups of coffee. I notice him going for black coffee while I fill mine up with sugar and cream. We leave the cafeteria and just stroll around the HQ until, somehow, we make it back to his office.
I step inside and glance at him,"Can I take a peek at your plan?"
"No." He answers simply and reclaims his seat.
I pout,"But isn't that why you wanted me here so I could help?"
"Yes," He admits,"But your presence here is enough to keep me calm and that's how you're helping."
I give him a playful glare,"And how are you not calm?"
"This kind of work is extremely frustrating and it's hard to stay focused, but, with you here it helps me stay calm."
I smile,"Alright, I guess I'll get back to work."
He nods and picks his pen up to continue the endless scrawling, while I shift the pile of ledgers around before I start reading. Almost instantly I'm caught off guard by the first one, it talks about Eren being connected to the fall of Wall Maria. My mouth feels dry at the thought, but I know better, the Colossal and Armored Titans are responsible, not Eren.
A startling realization suddenly causes me to gasp and drop my pen. Erwin looks up, worriedly and watches as my eyes dance around as more and more thoughts and theories swim to the surface.
"Erwin?" I ask.
"Yes?" He says and cocks his head.
"What if Eren isn't the only Titan Shifter out there?" I ask,"Eren, in Titan form, was, obviously, intelligent. More so than regular Titans."
Erwin nods his head, quietly signaling for me to go on,"But," I continue,"So was the Colossal and Armored Titans. They know when to attack and where, but they don't stick around to eat human beings." I look up at the ceiling,"So, if their objective is only to destroy the walls and not eat, and Eren's is to restore the walls; wouldn't they want to get rid of him? So they could continue their objective?"
Erwin's eyes widen and he looks down while muttering something underneath his breath,"I have thought of that," he admits,"but I didn't go that far into it."
I cock my head,"Do you agree, though?" I ask,"That the Colossal and Armored Titans are Shifters hidden within our populace?"
He nods his head,"I do. I need you to go find Hanji, Mike and Levi; I have to speak with them."
I nod my head and quickly leap from my seat, rushing from his office I run to Hanji's office. To find her passed out with her head on her desk and drool dripping out of the corner of her mouth.
I slap my hands on her desk,"Hanji!" I shout.
She leaps up, her eyes wide as she fumbles around for her glasses,"I'm awake! I'm awake!" She finds her glasses and quickly puts them on,"What do you need, Sakura?" She asks quickly hiding the panic in her voice.
"Commander Erwin wants to speak with you, ASAP."
She continues to look at me,"What?"
I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose,"Hanji." I complain.
"Did you say Erwin needs to talk with me?" Her tone sounds innocent.
"Yes!" I cry and throw my hands in the air.
She blinks again and cocks her head curiously,"About?"
"Titans, Hanji. Titans."
Her eyes widen and she quickly jumps from her seat,"Then I should go immediately!" She runs from her office and down the hallway.
I blink in surprise and whirl around, realizing that I don't know where I could find Squad Leader Mike,"Hanji!" I yell after her and she stops in the bend of the hallway,"Do you know where I could find Squad Leader Mike?"
"He would either be in the library or the stables!" She yells back and disappears around the corner.
I nod my head, those places sound like somewhere Mike would be. I rush through the HQ to the bottom floor where the library is located and groan loudly when the librarian says she hasn't seen Mike today. Spinning on my heel, I dash out of the HQ and run across the courtyard to the stables.
Peeking around the doors I'm honestly shocked to see the Squad Leader gently rubbing down an auburn horse,"Squad Leader Mike?" I ask and walk around the doors to stand in broad daylight.
He looks up and sniffs the air,"Sakura, what is it that you need?"
I'm slightly shocked to hear him say my name, I assumed he didn't know me at all,"Commander Erwin said he wanted to speak with you."
He nods his head and turns back to the horse, whispering kind words into its ear he feeds it an apple before turning toward me. I fidget underneath his gaze as he walks toward me. He stops in front of me and presses his nose to the crown of my head, he takes a big whiff then leans back, smirks and walks away. Again I'm thrown into shock at the Squad Leader's peculiar behavior, I shake my head and leave the stables to find Levi.
Just as I thought Levi was at the far end of the Training Grounds scolding Oluo for screwing something up. Like always.
I walk over to stand next to Levi and shoot a playful glare at Oluo,"You always screw up, Oluo." I say with a small smile.
Oluo glares at me, pink is dusted across his cheekbones,"Shut up! You're not out here training with us!"
"You're right I'm helping Commander Erwin, today." I say and stick out my tongue.
Levi glances at me,"What do you want?" He snaps.
I smile lightly,"Commander Erwin would like to speak with you."
He clicks his tongue,"Dammit." He growls and glares at my fellow squad mates,"All of you are too continue training!"
"What about her?" Oluo says and jabs a finger in my direction.
"Get the shit out of your ears Oluo! She's helping Erwin today." Levi snaps then spins around and grabs my elbow to drag me backwards.
I smirk at Oluo and mouth 'Have fun'," Don't tease them, shit head." Levi says.
I keep my smirk and twist around so I'm walking next to him,"Yeah yeah, he deserves it."
"He might, but still there is no fucking reason for you to tease."
I laugh,"Alright, I understand. I won't tease anymore."
"Lies."
I smile at him, but don't reply; he rolls his eyes and walks faster to try and get to Erwin's office quicker. Most likely so he can return to torturing his squad, he doesn't even knock once we reach the door. He strides right in with me behind him and takes a seat, Erwin motions for me to shut the door which I quickly oblige.
"Good everybody's here." Erwin says and leans back to fold his arms across his chest.
"What is it that you want, old man?"
"It's about Titans, right?" Hanji asks her eyes twinkling.
Mike remains silent from where he is perched, watching each of us carefully,"Don't be impatient, Levi." Erwin says with a shake of his head,"And, Hanji, yes, it's about Shifters."
Her eyes brighten,"Goodie!"
"It has come to my attention that the threat of Shifters being within the populace is high." Erwin says, watching each of us carefully so he can measure our reaction,"We already know about Eren, but the others remain unclear."
"Others?" Hanji asks, her eyes twinkling as she drinks in the information she is receiving.
"The Colossal and Armored Titans." I elaborate.
Erwin nods his head at me,"Yes, we planned on retrieving Eren through using him for a retrieval of Wall Maria which the court room would easily lean toward, but it's obvious this plan will not work."
I nod my head,"If the other Shifters learn we will be outside the walls for a long period of time they will come at us full force."
Erwin nods his head in agreement,"So, we need to create another plan that will draw out a single Shifter while we have Eren in custody. For this to happen, I need everybody to help in formulating this plan." He looks at me as he says that and I can't help but smile.
"Then let's begin." I announce and clap my hands together in anticipation.

------*------*------

I watch as the court room empties out, Military Police soldiers keep shooting hateful looks back toward Eren and merchants keep their fear filled eyes on him.
"We were able to pull through." Erwin says from next to me.
My smile is thin,"Thanks to you." Eren's shoulders rise and fall with each rattling breath he takes; his head is tilted downwards, hiding the blood that is rolling down his face.
"No," Erwin retorts and discretely grabs my hand to give it a squeeze,"It's thanks to you. If it wasn't for your quick wits we wouldn't have Eren in our custody."
I look up at him with wide eyes and he smiles down at me,"Go get him." He whispers and releases my hand,"I will see you when you get back to the meeting room."
I nod my head and slip out of the stand to run up to him; he looks up at me with pain filled eyes and gently smiles,"Don't move Eren." I warn as I wrap my hand around the metal bar that holds him down. With a quick heave I'm able to pull the bar free and hand it to the nearest disgusted Military Policeman.
"I didn't expect to get a beating from Humanity's strongest." He rasps out.
I smile,"Yeah for a short guy he's pretty strong." I say as I help a wavering Eren to his feet. I glare at the Militay Policemen,"Does either of you have the keys to his handcuffs?" I growl out.
"Damned freak." One man snaps as he tosses the keys in our direction, I'm quick to snatch them out of the air and glare at the man before removing Eren's handcuffs.
Once his wrists are free he gently rubs where the metal rubbed at his skin,"Feels good to be free of chains." He whispers.
I press a hand gently to his back and coax him forward. Once we pass the Military Policemen I hand the man the handcuffs and keys,"Here you go you damned bastard." I say in a sickly sweet voice.
He gaps after me as I lead Eren back toward the meeting room where Erwin, Levi, Hanji and Mike are waiting. Eren is silent the entire way there.
I sigh as we stop in front of the door,"I'm going to go ahead and warn you Hanji is going to be all over you once we step inside."
He nods his head and motions for me to open the door. With a small smile I push the door open and leap away from Eren once I see the flash of Hanji's glasses. She pulls the boy into the room and instantly busy's herself with tending to his wounds and talking his ear off. I smile at Erwin once I step into the room and close the door behind me to lean against the frame. Hanji hands him a cloth and earnestly tells him to keep it pressed to his nose.
Erwin steps up and bends down to offer the boy his outstretched hand,"Eren, you speaking your mind in their today is what helped us to play our cards right. I apologize for your injuries, but it was mandatory for you to receive them so we could get custody of you." Erwin gently smiles,"You have my upmost respect."
Eren seems pleased and takes Erwin's hand,"Thank you sir."
Levi pushes off of his position on the wall and strides over to plop down on the couch next to Eren. Eren jolts and fearfully eyes the Corporal,"Oi, boy. You don't hate me now do you?"
I smile,"Aw, Levi! You actually care." Erwin flashes me an amused smile.
"Of course not, sir. I understand that I had to endure the injuries."
"Still," Hanji comments as she walks up and kneels down in front of Eren,"You went to far, Levi. Look!" She unfolds a napkin that reveals Eren's tooth,"He lost a tooth!"
Eren blinks in surprise and Levi shrugs carelessly. Hanji leans forward and smiles at Eren creepily,"Hey, Eren! Can I look inside your mouth?"
Eren looks doubtful, but slowly opens his mouth, Hanji leans closer and peers inside before gasping in surprise. We all lean forward waiting for Hanji to explain,"His tooth....it grew back."
I blink in surprise,"It must be part of his Titan abilities."
Erwin nods his head,"In the reports about the fall of Trost it did say his arm and leg regenerated after getting bit off."
Levi curls his lip in disgust,"Like a lizard, disgusting."
Eren closes his mouth and leans back into the couch,"Commander, sir, you said I would have to go outside the walls to prove my loyalty, right?"
"Yes,"Erwin replies,"In a months time you will be going outside the walls."
I smile,"Don't worry, Eren. We'll protect you."
After that everybody slowly leaves the room, Levi and Hanji leads Eren out of the room and Mike follows behind. I turn toward Erwin who strides across the room to stand in front of me.
I stare into his eyes and smile slightly as I lean toward his embrace,"It's been a hard and stressful 24 hours." I say with a small laugh.
Erwin tilts my face up and smiles, tiredly,"I know, but at least we were able to get him."
I nod my head,"That's true, but I won't be able to see you until the expedition." I say sorrowfully.
He brushes his lips gently against mine,"Don't worry." He whispers.
"I will miss you so much."
"I'll miss you too." He replies and kisses me again.
I smile into the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck,"I love you, my handsome Commander."
"And I love you, my beautiful soldier."

---A/N---
Da dada da da da da dada da! Love you guys! I love this update a lot.
•Vote!
•Comment!
•Fan!