Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

Someone pulled me back, I turned and saw an older man, who I assumed was a new professor pulling me back.

"No fighting on the train," he said. It looked like he was trying to scold me, but didn't really want to.

Hermione had a hand over her mouth and Ron looked like he had just seen God.

"You three, go back to your compartment. I need to have a word with her."

The Slytherin bolted back to his friends.

"But-"

"It's fine," I told Hermione. She and Ron looked at each other, then left.

"Follow me," he said kindly. We began walking down the corridor.

"Who are you?"

"Professor Slughorn. That was s powerful punch. What's your name."

"Kendra Barton."

"Well, Kendra, there are some people I would like you to meet. Why don't we have lunch?"

"People?" I ignored the lunch part.

"Classmates," he corrected.

We walked into an almost empty compartment. The only other person there was Ginny.

"Do you know why we are here? she asked.

I shook my head and sat next to her. "I sort of beat up this Slytherin and he saw. Now I'm here."

"I hexed someone," explained Ginny.

A wave of people came in, including Neville and Harry.

"Harry, m'boy!" said Slughorn, jumping up at the sight of him so that his great velvet-covered belly seemed to fill all the remaining space in the compartment. His shiny bald head and great silvery mustache gleamed as brightly in the sunlight as the golden buttons on his waistcoat. "Good to see you, good to see you! And you must be Mr. Longbottom!" Neville nodded, looking scared. At a gesture from Slughorn, they sat down opposite each other in the only two empty seats, which were nearest the door.

Ginny and I glanced at each other, more confused by the minute.

"Now, do you know everyone?" Slughorn asked Harry and Neville. "Blaise Zabini is in your year, of course —"

I remember Blaise from the Dinner a year ago at the Malfoy's. I wasn't sure if he even remembered me. I decided not to greet him. We only now each other because of Malfoy so...

"This is Cormac McLaggen, perhaps you've come across each other —? No?"

McLaggen, a large, wiry-haired youth, raised a hand, and Harry and Neville nodded back at him. "—and this is Marcus Belby, I don't know whether —?" Belby, who was thin and nervous-looking, gave a strained smile. "— and this charming young lady tells me she knows you!" Slughorn finished. Ginny grimaced at Harry and Neville from behind Slughorn's back.

"And this young lady is Kendra Barton. I wonder if—"

"We're good friends," Harry said quickly. Slughorn beamed at me with even more interest.

"Well now, this is most pleasant," said Slughorn cozily. "I was just telling young Marcus here that I had the pleasure of teaching his Uncle Damocles," Slughorn told Harry and Neville, now passing around a basket of rolls. "Outstanding wizard, Do you see him much Marcus?" Unfortunately, Beiby had just taken a large mouthful of pheasant; in his haste to answer Slughorn he swallowed too fast, turned purple, and began to choke.

"Anapneo," said Slughorn calmly, pointing his wand at Belby, whose airway seemed to clear at once.

"Not... not much of him, no," gasped Belby, his eyes streaming.