Chapter Six

"Someday, someone's going to look at you like you're the best thing in the world."

● ● ●

06.
WORK

The next day at office was fairly well. For starters, when I entered the building, the security guard was missing. That bastard. And when I reached the receptionist's desk, she stood up and wished me a good morning. She seemed nervous and avoided eye contact.

I was kind of relieved to see that she wasn't fired because when I went home last night and thought about everything that happened, I realised that she was only doing her job and it was partly Jimin's fault for not informing her beforehand about my appointment. But I was glad the security guard was fired. Even if she had called him, he should've escorted me out of the building without invading my personal space.

I took the elevator to fourth floor where my office was, opposite to Jimin's office. I still couldn't believe that I had my own office. Entering the office, I shut the door behind me and swiped my gaze through the whole room. The giddy feeling of finally having a job returned.

Sitting on the chair, I put my palms on the table, feeling its shiny glass underneath my finger.

Ah. It feels so good to have your own office.

After a few minutes of doing absolutely nothing and just staring at the table, I got bored. Realising that I hadn't even asked Jimin about what I was supposed to do today made me think how weird this whole ordeal seems to be. But instead of worrying about anything, I decided to simply go and ask the man himself about what exactly my job was supposed to be.  I did remember him saying that I didn't have to do any paper work. I just had to run some errands and bring him coffee.

Can't he have someone else get his coffee?

Is this what private secretaries are for?

I mean why have a secretary when these simple tasks could be done by someone who works there already? Jimin's thinking was beyond me. Him practically handing me the job was an enigma I couldn't understand, at least not right now. But I had always been attracted to mysteries and maybe that's why I accepted his job offer. And also because I needed money to pay rent and for buying other necessities.

I thought maybe I should go get a coffee for Jimin and myself before going to his office. So with that thought, I left my office, riding down the elevator and out of the building.

The air was chilly but thankfully I was wearing a blazer, so I wasn't that cold. I walked to the coffee shop a block away from Park Enterprises. The coffee shop smelled so good, the aroma of coffee beans and chocolate wafting through the air. After ordering an espresso, I found a seat near the window that overlooked the busy street. I took my sweet time while drinking the coffee, which wasn't more than 15 minutes. Finishing my coffee, I ordered one for Jimin, payed for it, and made my way back to the building.

As I neared Jimin's office, I could hear him talking with someone. Someone's already in the office with him. It was a female's voice. I wondered if I should knock and go in or I should go back to my office and come later.

But then the coffee will be cold, I reasoned in my mind and decided to go with the former option.

Taking a deep breath, I knocked at the door.