Chapter 21 - Three Little Words...

“I suppose we should head back now.” Alexis sighed. “We've got what we came for.”

“Yeah, sorry about that.” I laughed.

“So we have to climb all the way down again?”

We all turned. “Bonnie!”

“Yo. We made it too.” She pointed behind her. Ayshe, Sarah, Gavin, Sheldon, Anthony and Owen were there.

“Sarah!” Sam smiled.

“Molly!” Owen gasped.

“You're alive!” Anthony added.

“Sorry for scaring you.” Molly scratched her head.

“You won, then?” Ayshe said to Skyra.

“Yeah. I'm glad we came here.” He smiled.

“Shelly and Gavin!” Holly laughed.

“Hey.” Gavin grinned.

“Hello. You must be Snowflake's friends.” Darragh greeted. “I'm Darragh.”

“You!” Sheldon growled.

“It's ok, Sheldon.” Nelly stopped him. “He's my father.”

After a few minutes of explaining, everyone understood. “So... It's all over?” Bonnie asked.

“Yeah.” I nodded.

“Damn, I missed all the action!”

“You guys... Thanks for risking your lives for me...”

“No worries.” Ayshe smiled.

“Happy to help!” Gavin nodded.

“Right then, let's go.” Darragh said. We all walked with him to the trapdoor. Xene and I waited until last. I looked over the roof for one last time. The melted machine. Pieces of scattered armour. Darragh's jumper. Genesis was finished forever. A piece of paper fluttered by my foot. I bent down and picked it up. It was a photograph of Darragh, Alexis and Nelly from nine years ago. They were all so happy. I smiled and slipped the photo into my pocket. Xene grabbed my shoulder. I nodded. We turned and walked down the stairs, leaving it all behind us.

“Master!”

We'd made it down to the eighth floor. The Genesis grunts were awake, and relieved by their Master's presence. “Everybody, listen to me!” Darragh called. They all became alert. “My dreams have been fulfilled. I've found my happiness. And now... Genesis is disbanded.”

There were a bundle of gasps as they all tried to take it in. “I want you all to find your happiness too.” He continued. “I hope you can forgive me for the way I've treated you... Now please, this is my final order. Go out and live your lives. Leave your criminal past behind you and never look back.”

For a moment, there was nothing. We didn't know what their reaction would be. Half of me thought they were going to attack. But no. They were surprisingly calm. “Master...” The one at the front stepped forward.

“Yes, Luke?”

Luke. The guard who had manned the gates in the compound. He looked at Xene and I and smiled. “Thank you.” He said, and bowed. Then followed a wave of lowering heads.

“Thank you.” Everyone resonated.

“You're all intelligent people.” Darragh smiled. “Now spread the message to everyone below! And after that, live your lives freely as you wish!”