Chapter 7 - Maze Of Blades

“You're serious?”

“I do not joke, child.”

Janus was standing over Tobi, the spiked pole in the ground. “Tomorrow, I want you to enter the Maze of Blades, otherwise known as the second assessment.”

“Maze of Blades...?”

“A maze where you have to navigate very carefully. If you happen to come to a dead end, one of my pupils will engage you in a duel. Fail to win, and you are kicked out of the maze. You can, of course, continue if you win.” He explained.

“A few puny fighters? Heh, no problem.” Tobi pulled himself up with his own weapon. Janus smacked him back to the ground with a single blow.

“Do not underestimate them.” He snapped. “They are much stronger than you.”

Inside my own head, I sniggered. “Shut up, loner.” He offended. I clenched my fists and 'shut up'.

“Don't get carried away though. You still have several more hours of practice ahead of you.”

“How many hours, Sensei?”

“Fourteen. Now, continue.”

Tobi grunted and pulled himself up, finding that he was soon pinned to the wall again, the spear stapling him in place. He smirked and smacked the stick away. Janus' pole came down and was dodged and countered. The Sensei caught his student's pole and slammed Tobi against the opposite wall. He got to his feet, leapt into the air and struck down with amazing power. Janus held his pole in a single hand and held off the attack. Tobi pushed down with all of his weight, his arms burning until, finally... His pole snapped. The cracked wood spun continuously back into Tobi's face, knocking him into the air. Janus crashed his pole into my stomach, and Tobi was sent sprawling to the ground. “S-Sensei!” He winced. “What the hell....?!”

“No pity. No sorrow. No mercy.” Janus closed his eyes. “These are the marks of a master. If you can't handle it, get out now.”

“I'm just getting started!” Tobi leapt at his teacher.

Xene got back to the main gate and took a deep breath. Finally, the second seed was planted. It had taken all night, and he'd missed the assembly that Darragh had ordered. It couldn't have been important, he thought. He opened the gate and was about to stroll in when something caught his eye. There was a flash of reflected sunlight coming from around the corner of a building. Xene backtracked and peered round it. It was the girl from yesterday. “Oh, hi Xene!” She smiled.

“Er... Hi, uh... Nelly, was it?” He blinked, confused. The sun had bounced off her pendant.

“Anything new with Toby?”

“Oh, I'm sorry. I... I just got back.”

“Oh, I see...” She seemed disappointed. Did she really care that much about him? Was it possible that she was...?

“H-hey!” Xene stuttered. “There's something I need to tell you though.”

“Yeah?” Nelly wondered. Xene leant forward and whispered into her ear. He pulled back and waited. “R-really?! Thanks Xene! I'll go right away!” The girl turned and tore down the pavement.

“Huh...” Xene stood for a moment. “I just... Ugh, no...”

The breeze got to him and he remembered. It was time to report back.

“What?! Really?!”

“Yes! Xene told me so!”