Chapter 9 - Seed Danger

The uniform fit well enough. The red fabric slid over Tobi's head as he pulled it on. He threw my old shirt and jumper on the bed but still kept my blue jacket. At least I wasn't completely forgotten... It fell over his shoulders so that only the chest was showing the Genesis uniform. The 'G' seemed to sparkle in the early light. “I'm one of them.” He sniggered.

“Disgusting.” I shuddered. The Ryuusei Blade was leaning against the bedside, silent and deadly. Inside was the Demon, Dolor. With the Demon, Tobi had murdered a poor defenceless man... But he didn't seem to care. He snatched up the sword in its scabbard and walked out of the room. Tobi stared at the sun rising over the hills and smirked. It was time for his first mission as part of Genesis.

“You're sure?!”

“Of course I am!” Professor Hastings snapped. Owen was peering over his shoulder, staring wide-eyed at the report on Hastings' desk. The results had finally come back from the professionals. That night when the Rangers had risked their lives under bullet fire, causing Owen's comrade, Morrice, a great deal of pain. That was what had begun the investigation. And now the results were right here, but neither knew what to do. “Assemble the team.” Hastings said at last.

“Jayden, Anthony, Nick, Molly and Morrice?” The boy asked.

“Yes. Quickly.”

Owen ran out of the door. Hastings needed a plan – fast. If something wasn't done soon, calamity would befall everyone. There was just one week (he calculated roughly) until Genesis were in their prime opportunity.

“Come with me.” Gilham started walking. Tobi shrugged and followed. She was leading him down a grey corridor, the walls lined with murals. There were no windows. It was just one long tube from one end to another. Gilham turned around the slight curve at the end and disappeared from sight, only to reappear seconds later when Tobi rounded the same turn. She was standing outside an office labelled:

'Identification'

'GENESIS PROPERTY'

“We're going inside to get you fitted with an identity card. Like you saw Xene had.”

“Ok.”

“Follow me.”

She opened the door and walked inside. The room was small and light, pictures and words plastered the walls. There was a man sat on a stool with a camera dangling from his neck. “New member?” He asked, and handed Tobi a piece of paper and a pen. Tobi nodded. “Right. Name, age?” The man stroked his moustache. Ten minutes later, Tobi had been interviewed, photographed and examined. The man came back from his printer and fiddled briefly. Then he handed Tobi a laminated piece of red card with all of his details on it. “Thank you, Phil.” Gilham shook his hand. The two of them walked back out into the dreary corridor once more. “Now that you have that card, you can go on missions.” She explained. “Speaking of which, Master is waiting to give you your first.”

“All right. Finally, some action!” Tobi smirked. Valentina began walking and Tobi followed. It only just occurred to me... How had she known that Tobi had seen Xene's card before...?

Xene was sat in a wooden chair, his hands on his knees. Darragh had just relayed the mission to him. Gilham closed the door and pulled up a seat for Tobi. He sat down. “Ah, Tobi.” Darragh smiled. “I was just running Xene through his mission.”