The relief was gone as soon as it came. I was alone, my hands behind my back, with an angry pack of changewings sneaking around me.

I'm not sure what was taking them so long. Being able to smell Freya but not see her might've confused them - a fact that I would use to my advantage. Placing one foot directly behind of the other, I inched my way towards the cliffs. With a little luck, I could probably climb down and drop into the sea.

The smell of boiling acid was horrible. I presumed they were after Freya. Glancing back, I knew that I had reached the cliff. I jumped down before any of the changewings could react. As I charged for the sea, leaping down ledges in the cliff face, green acid blasts shot by me - narrowly missing.

I turned, running backwards, and used a blast to break my binds. Some of my shoulder pad dissolved, the repulsive acid eating its way through like a ravenous beast. I kicked off the last rock, suddenly airborne. Cold water stabbed into me as I surfaced for air. Several outlines moved on the cliff. My eyes widened as I swam frantically away, acid landing in the water causing it to sizzle and steam. Hot air whipped my face as I dived under the water.

For a few seconds, the blasts kept coming. Then the water calmed, returning to an even cold temperature. I surfaced, checking for changewings. I could see no outlines, meaning they were either still or gone. I really hoped it was the later as I swam to shore.

As the adrelanine wore off, I felt the cold seeping into my skin more. My drenched clothes hung onto me tightly. I trudged along the beach, heading for my hut, as I saw a changwing. Stiffling a groan, I watched as the magnificent beast stalked down the coast, facing away from me.

Unlike most changewings, this one wasn't a pure red. Its underside was slightly mango, instead of white, turning crimson on its back. The tips of its wings were a deep indigo, and patterned like a jaguar. It appeared slightly smaller than most, but it could just be underaged.

Squinting, I noticed a shimmer past it. I gaped. Freya!

I could only watch as she took off her hood and unbuttoned her cloak. The rare changwing watched with interest as she revealed herself. I couldn't hear her, but seeing her lips moving gave away that she was trying to soothe it.

The changewing reared, unconvinced, but she held out her hand. With the other, her gaze still locked onto the changewing, she grabbed her cloak and covered herself. The changwing buried its elongated snout where she was, pleasantly surprised at the girl's ability. After a moment, it opened its maw and... began licking her?

I swear my jaw hit the floor as I watched. Freya, a Dragon Hunter - no, the heir to the Dragon Hunters, tamed a changwing- something no rider could do. I watched as the beast lowered it neck and pressed against her. She gave it a scratch, before getting on and taking off.

Her eyes locked onto mine and I knew she was aware I'd been watching the entire time. Tilting her head, Freya addressed me before turning towards the island Viggo had died in.

She tamed a changwing.

There was a new subspecie of changewing.

I was free.

She was gone.

The new information rattled me as I tried to register everything that had happened. I needed to find the other riders. With renewed energy, I ran along the back towards the outpost. The cold breeze whipped my aubern hair. Flying overhead, I could just see the silver scales of Windshear. Waving and calling like a mad thing, I tried to attract Heather's attention.

When they dived, I allowed myself to relax. Heather hopped off, her slick hair slightly ruffled from a clearly long flight, her green eyes filled with worry.

"Long story, but we need everyone. Freya - sorry, the attacker - escaped on a changwing subspecie." She nodded, though was clearly shocked, as we both got on Windshear. I watched the clouds roll gently across the sky, perfectly aware that Heather was eyeing my neck, all too understanding as to why I had a long scab.

Windshear shot a blast straight up thrice. Immediately the other riders flew over, each thrilled to see me. It warmed my heart, but I needed to tell them what I knew immidietly.

"I knew that plan was stupid," Astrid stated, giving me an icy glare. I scratched the back of my head, mumbling that it could've worked but I didn't really try to argue.

"Yeah, but I have a lot of information. Fishlegs can you get me a map of the archipelago?" He nodded and was off.

"Don't start shouting when I say this guys," I asked. Taking a deep breath, I explained, "There is a third Grimborn sibling."

The twins' mouths hit the floor whilst Astrid looked like she was going to choke.

"Who?" Heather asked, her voice even but her axe twirling in her grasp.

"Freya Grimborn. She's the youngest, a mix of her brothers. She's smart like Viggo but has a fiery temper." Snotlout, who had just recovered from the shock, tried to make a sentence.

"Those guys, well, terrifying! And there's another one!"

"Yes. I'm pretty sure she wants answers surrounding Viggo's death. Why she came to us, I have no idea, but she now knows that he sacrificed himself for me in Johann's base - and where that is."

"So... we're done? She's gone and we don't have to worry?" Fishlegs asked.

"I'm not sure. She should be leading the Dragon Hunters, but she's not even working with them. Something's up."

Astrid narrowed her eyes. "But her boat crashed. How'd she get off the island?"

"Changewing." As we walked to the clubhouse, I explained all the events from start to finish to the others. Everyone reacted differently, but with Freya around I realised we'd have to destroy the Dragon Eyes immediately.

Quickly, I headed up to my hut. Only the one I made was on my desk. Frowning, I checked the floor. And the wardrobe. And the table. And under the bed. All through the hut, there was no Dragon Eye. Realisation hit me like a smack to the face.

Freya had the Dragon eye.

***

Hey guys! Thanks for reading. 💕

Freya has the Dragon Eye.

What do you think will happen?

Why did she take it?

Random question: do you think changewing acid can burn through death song amber?

***

The Changewing: