Chapter twenty

Was it possible to be so nervous about something? You shut your eyes and breathed in, feeling Markus' gaze on you.

His hand wrapped around yours and he whispered comfortingly to you,"Relax. We've planned everything down to the smallest detail. I'll make sure you come to no harm." So just like all the promises you've told me, before you went running away?

But you wanted to give him a second chance, so when your eyes fluttered open and he glanced questioningly at you, you gave him a small smile. "I trust you."

As the two of you stepped off the escalators, your mouth widened in shock at the tall  building, a sophisticated structure of glass and blue panes in the snow.

"Wow. This looks neat." North, who had been behind you, laughed and shook her head "You haven't seen nothing yet, (Y/n)."

Walking into the tower felt like entering a fancy hotel, with glowing yellows signs and marble everywhere. There was a wall of green plants, lush and fake butterflies floated around them.

"Now, remember the plan and stay safe. I don't want to lose any of you." You sat down on a small plastic bench, watching carefully as Markus and North headed to the front. You could see them studying the receptionist's desk, and Markus blinking slowly, before he began to mouth words.

Hello? Is this Elizabeth Wilson? This is Saint Rose School, your daughter has a fever. It's nothing serious, but you should come and pick her up.

The woman picked her purse and hurried to the exit, while Markus headed towards the service android, grabbing her hand.

Alright, let's go, (Y/n).

You gasped, suprised by his voice in your head, but recovering quickly and the three of you headed pass the security gates, towards the elevator.

There was a deafening silence in the lift, and you tried to avoid Markus' eyes, wondering, horrified, if he was able to get in your mind the whole time, or if it was just communication. Maybe you were overthinking, but the dangerous way his eyes gleamed and how his hand turned white when he converted androids scared you a bit.

And no way in hell did you want him knowing what was on your mind. Because you was only ever thinking about him.

As the lift reached the 47 floor, you and North split up from him, going to the female toilets. There were empty, and you went into a cubicle, stepping onto the small black bin to reach the ceiling.

The package tumbled onto the floor and North shot you a look that could only mean one thing. You idiot.

Quickly, you changed into the uniform and glanced at North, in awe. She looked pretty, even in a janitor's clothes, and you wondered if Markus thought like that of her. As a gorgeous android with more in depth feelings. But if all that she believed in was violence and revolution, what made him like her?

It was a puzzling allegory, that two complete opposites could be in love and one be full of anger and hate, while the other was fueled with passion. Maybe they were perfect together. You swallowed the bitter feeling, and shook your head. There was more important things for now.

-

Markus caught up with you and North in the staircase, and as he distracted two guards away from the server room, hijacking a vending machine, you swiped the card and pushed the door open.

The room was filled with small transparent cables, giving a blue glow. There was a large glass window acing the wall, revealing a breath taking skyline of Detroit. The snow was coming in harsh and in violent storms, turning the city into winter wonderland. You could make out the sharp lines of buildings peeking through, hues of black and grey dancing with white.

Using a hairpin to jam the doors shut, you stared as Markus began to cut the glass with a laser saw. Oh no, no no no no.

You turned away, trying to take deep breathes. The buzzing noise felt like it was sawing through your nerves, and your heart was beating in sync with it. I can't do it, I can't do it.

How high was it again? Was it only the 47 floor? It felt worse, higher, much scarier.

"Let's go, (Y/n)." You didn't realise he had been staring, and you gulped nervously as you ducked past the hole into the cold open.

Please make it stop. It's so high. I think I can't even see birds from here.

"(Y/n)?" North had already started climbing, but your feet felt frozen to the ground. You was shaking, but it wasn't just from the cold. Markus' eyes were gentle and kind, and you hated how he cared.

"I can't do this Markus. I can't climb this, it's too high. If I look up, I'll think of how much there is more to climb, and it's unending, impossible. And if I look down, all I'll be thinking of is how easily I will fall, and that I might never come back up."

And with that, you burst into tears.

-

A/n:

Hello! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter, and thanks for reading ♡

How are you today? :)

Comment who is your favourite underated DBH character! For me, it's Sumo the dog 🐶