Chapter eighteen

The girl had fallen into a peaceful slumber, her body leaning against my back. It was now late morning, but (Y/n) must have been really tired from last night.

I grazed the piano keys lightly, playing a lullaby I knew she loved. When I was first integrated into Carl's life, and just met him, I remembered how much she hated me. Then that late night when she had tucked him in, and the lights were dim and the city noise was soft, it sounded like the perfect time for some songs.

Halfway, I realised her presence and asked her if she wanted to stay. I could recognise that she would say yes, because child androids were funny that way, programmed to be a part of a family. Cyberlife tried to manufacture emotions like fear or love, but that night her eyes were wet and she kept rubbing her nose, amd I knew it wasn't the cold. Her feelings were real. But I tried to deny it, that they were far from authentic.

So when Carl had died, I convinced myself she could get back up. She had turned nineteen, a grown android. She didn't feel. And then I could leave her because I couldn't pick myself up, because she could handle the blow, but not me. And while I had fell apart, I had broke her heart too.

If I can have this one chance, to leave my mistakes in the past and start a new life with you, promising to never leave and always stay, I swear it will be the one piece of me that will never break or tear, even if I shut down forever.

(Y/n) was so warm. But the humans had been so cold towards them, and it might have to take more than a hundred android lives to change that.

-

A/n:

Hi! I'm sorry it's so short, I've been really busy these days but I promise to update more often once some stuff blows over :)

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it ♡