Chapter seven

You tried to keep your head down, pulling the black hoodie over your head. It was late, and the police would be on duty, making sure no one broke curfew. Or worse, if the drones caught you.

Your bag was light other than the painting you stole, since you didn't bring any extra clothes or cash. Was it stupid to want to get away so desperately that you forgot some really important things? Yeah, it was.

You needed a store to rob.

Scanning the empty street, your eyes lit up at the sight of a hot dog cart that was abandoned. No humans, but food and money- it would be good enough for now. You ran over to the mini cart, and dug out a small pin from your hair, unpicking the lock.

"Amazing." You reached out and stuffed thick wads of cash into the bag, and wrapped the cold buns in clean napkins- that would keep you going for a while.

Then, before you could feel too bad, you slammed the register shut and headed north to the empty carpark. It was funny, you was never programmed to feel anything but hunger or cold, but now you was unable to fight all the guilt crushing down.

Was this what is was like to be a human? This sensation of emotions rushing over you, and as if they were driving you crazy, was that what humans felt?

As you traced the red prints on the wall, you wondered if Markus had ever felt like this. Maybe that was why he ran away, after Carl died, because it had been hurting him.

-

It felt like hours of running and ducking from the cops, an endless game of hide and seek. The bag was begining to weigh down, from the food and cash. You had followed the dirty paths all the way to a huge ship, magnificent and large- and abandoned.

Biting your lip, you felt your pockets and retrieved the small flashlight, shining at it. What the hell... Was Jericho inside? Or was this just a made up story to appease the deviants? Heck, what was there to lose? Carl was gone, and Markus had left you- there was no one anymore.

Taking a deep breath, you pushed the heavy door open, cringing at how the rust felt against your hands.

Lets go. And if fate was feeling sorry, maybe you could get answers, and see Markus again.