Chapter one

You met him at breakfast, Carl beaming as you entered the dining room, an RK200 that stood behind him like a loyal servant.

You smiled at the old man,"Good morning, Carl. How are you today?"

But you already knew, from the way he wheezed heavily with each breath, his hands trembling slightly as he grasped onto the blue mug. No need to scan him- it was obvious he was not in a good state today.

"I'm fine, (Y/n). Have you met Markus?"

Your eyes flitted to the RK200, and you stared blankly as the android returned the same expression.

Instantly, you scanned him and words popped into your vision.

RK 200
Domestic android
Caretaker for Carl
Markus

"Caretaker? Carl, why do you him when you have me? I am designed to fulfill your every need." You asked curiously, pouring water from a jug into his empty mug.

Carl laughed sadly, shaking his head. "(Y/n), I bought you as a child android. I don't expect you to be at my back and call, even if you have grown a little. Markus will be taking care of me from now on, as a domestic android. Okay?"

His words were soft and gentle, but you knew it meant something completely different.

It took you a while to process his words, and when you realised what he meant, you fought this strange urge to ignore, or disobey.

That you were useless. Just a child. Not good enough. An android bought to keep a family who wanted something human but could never have.

"Okay, Carl. Whatever you say." Your eyes felt wet, and were glassy from the tears that threatened to spill. Look as if you are not crying. As if you have no emotions. Because you are not human. And feelings don't matter.

You force a smile onto your face and nodded at Carl and Markus.

"Enjoy your breakfast. I'll clear your work area." But you knew that he was going to say that art wasn't work, that art was love and passion.

Because eighteen years with him had taught you that. But then, did eighteen years with you taught him nothing?