*NEW* XXVI - This Is Love

Hours had gone by since the village of Grigory was left behind for good. The ride to Banemount wouldn't be over for a while longer, and even though the night was late and fatigue was upon everyone in the horse-drawn coach, Eli was the only one awake inside. He was grateful, content, at ease, but even with that he still couldn't quite get the sleep he knew his body wanted right now. Because of Jasper's quick thinking and determination to set him free, Eli had been rescued from a fate he couldn't help thinking about. It was likely, once the other officers who'd taken him to Grigory in the first place returned, the next morning he would have been hanged before a crowd of onlookers.

Just knowing his own life would have come to an end if not for Jasper made Eli almost sick to his stomach. To think a lie, that someone like Edmund, could have gotten him killed...Eli swallowed a feeling of nausea and sighed. At the moment, He was sitting with his back to the inner wall of the coach, shirtless still, and Jasper was resting against him.

Across the way, Silas slept atop the bench he was on, and it was then when Eli also considered the idea that he and Silas would have been killed together. So thankful neither of them would have to go through what something so terrible would have been like, Eli looked down at Jasper sleeping against his chest. Together, he and Silas had been saved by this brave, headstrong boy, and they ultimately owed him their lives, and honesty so much more, but Eli knew Jasper wouldn't accept any form of payment or reward or anything for what he'd done.

In the end, Jasper would always be happy to have the person he loved with him and out of harm's way. That was all he needed.

Resting his head back, Eli looked up and out the window of the coach just over his shoulder. The stars seemed oddly brighter than usual and the moon was full as it shone down upon the earth. In some way, Eli thought it seemed like even the world far beyond them was glad to see he and Jasper's love had gone untouched by what would have been the epitome of cruel.

So very thankful for this life, for what felt like a second chance, Eli made a promise to himself to never waste a moment, and to cherish every single minute in which he continued to breathe. For the rest of his days, he'd never take anything for granted, and surely he would never let a second spent with the people he loved go to waste either. To Jasper, he would be the best man and lover he could possibly be, to Lady Darcy and Juliette, he would be a good friend, and to his parents...

Eli was suddenly afraid to know about what his parents thought of him. Still, even though he was sure they now viewed him as some sort of - mistake - certainly a disappointment, the red-haired boy couldn't help but love them. All his life, he'd had nothing but good memories with his family. When he was a small boy, he'd been an only child, a happy child whose mother and father were so protective of him, so fond of him, yet it was unfortunate how quickly that could change upon a realization. If they had known back then, back when Eli was but a small boy, would they have disowned him off the bat, gotten rid of him sooner and started over with another child?

After all the good years he'd had with his parents, Eli was sad to say goodbye to one person in particular. His sister. Already, since taking the job at the Lancechester manor, the time Eli had spent with his baby sister was scarce, but now he definitely wouldn't be able to watch Ava grow into a woman. He could still remember how happy he'd been when his mother told him he'd be having a younger sibling, and that happiness had only sprouted into something more the day Ava was born. He'd loved her, vowed to protect her, always be there for her, but now he hadn't a choice but the stay away.

Ava, he wished he could speak to her right now, I pray to see you again someday. Until then, be strong, be great.

Closing his eyes, Eli didn't plan on sleeping for the remainder of the journey. He merely continued to bask in the joy of at least being granted the opportunity to live for another day, with the one he loved most in this world.