VIII - The Ball

After three days, Madame Scarlett's birthday ball was set to be had, and if Eli thought the manor was a ruckus during supper time, it was now a roaring monsoon. Interior decorators were busy as bees preparing the ballroom for the evening festivities, extra helpers were being assigned catering positions, and tailors were fitting everyone for their costumes.

Eli stood aside as a man wielding five different tail suits fitted his Master for the ball. Master Jasper didn't look very enthusiastic about the whole schedule for the day, but still he was going through with attending the event. As the tailor fixed the royal blue ascot, the man stepped back to look over the modishly dressed Young Master. "How 'bout this one, my lord?"

Master Jasper fiddled with the cuffs of the suit, and turned in front of the freestanding mirror before him. His blonde tresses were down and parted through the middle. "I do not like the trousers," he protested, "they make me feel trapped. Shorts would be better, and the coat is quite stiff around the wrists. This one will not do."

The tailor nodded, "Forgive me, I'm sure I have the perfect outfit for you."

As Eli helped the Young Master undress, laying aside the discarded clothes, they shared a smile for one another until they were interrupted by the tailor once more.

"Here we are, my lord." He showcased a regal-looking ensemble. The shorts and coat were a dark carmine red, and the coat's tail, along with the cuffs, were ruffled with a black underlining. The white shirt was puffed in the chest area with a black and ample bowtie, and there were also dark knee-high socks with black buckled short heeled shoes.

The Young Master immediately took a liking to it. "This one is acceptable, Marcus. I shall keep it."

The tailor nodded with a crooked, yellowish smile, "Very well, my lord."

After the tailor left, Eli assisted in dressing the Young Master for the ball. It was starting in just a couple minutes and everyone would be there. Well, everyone, according to people of high status. For a moment, he wished he could somehow invite his parents to the ball, especially one as esteemed as the Lancechester's would be. But, of course, that wasn't possible.

Fixing the bowtie around the Master's neck, Eli asked, "Are you nervous about today?"

Master Jasper shook his head, "Not necessarily. All I have to do is avoid the others, and in a ballroom filled with people, that alone does not sound like a difficult task."

"Do you plan to stay for the entire event?"

"Heavens, no," he said, voice almost amused by the idea. "Once I have spent my time, I am leaving."

There was a rap on the Master's chamber door, and a moment later it opened to his father. His black suit was pressed and he looked well-groomed today with a lined goatee and mustache, rather than his beard from a couple nights ago. Seeing that his son was dressing for the ball seemed to bring him comfort. "I thought you might have changed your mind about coming today. It warms me to see you still are."

Master Jasper's expression was flat, his hands on his hips as Eli adjusted the belt around his waist. "I already told you I would be there. What makes you think I would change my mind?"

"Well..." he entered the room further, closing the doors behind him as though someone were listening in. He ignored Eli's presence entirely, as though his mere being there didn't matter. "...I was afraid after the happenings at supper the other day, you would not have wanted to endure everyone once again."

Master Jasper looked toward the man when Eli was done with him. Often, he couldn't quite tell what was running through his father's mind. Was he being sincere with all these soft-spoken tones? Either way, the Young Master kept his gaze with the man, and said, "As your only son and successor," he narrowed his eyes, "not to mention the one person who will carry your legacy into the future, carry my grandfather's legacy, what kind of son would I be if I took back my word of showing my face to all your acquaintances?"