XXII - Not So Private Moments

"This manor is positively marvelous," Darcy said. She and the others were standing in the center of a grand foyer, a wide twin staircase running along the lilium pink walls, and meeting at the second floor balcony. The ceilings were sky-high, held up by pearl white pillars. A lofty golden chandelier gleamed prettily in the light shining in from the tall windows beside the large arched double doors. There were already pieces of furniture placed inside. Window settees here and there, large Persian rugs the length of the long corridors. It really was a marvelous home to spend the remainder of their life.

Jasper had his hands closed behind his back, his feet set apart as he watched Darcy and Juliette swoon over the manor's spectacular interior. He didn't much care for the appearance of the home they were to purchase; just that it was far enough from any other residence. Far enough from his family.

Beside Jasper stood Eli. It wasn't hard to tell he wasn't feeling himself. The simple manner in which he stood was different. Eli's hands were held behind his back, his feet together. The butler almost looked submissive with his solemn brow and drowsy eyes, the polar opposite of how Jasper was now carrying himself.

"What are your thoughts on this residence?"

The question had been asked by an old man with short curly hair the color of white sand. He was dressed formally in a grey vest and brown trousers, his mustache loopy at the ends.

Darcy jumped at Jasper with an answer, "Oh, can we purchase this one, dear?" She held onto his skinny arm like a loving wife, the smile on her rose red lips brilliantly appealing. "Please, Jasper, you know I've dreamt of a sunroom like this manor has. And your library will fit a wondrous amount of books!"

Not that this choice bothered Jasper, but, "Are you certain?" he asked, "This is only the first manor we've visited."

"I am aware," Darcy shrugged, letting her eyes wander the first level, her gaze catching Juliette's. "But this place, it is perfect."

Addressing Juliette, Jasper said, "Do you agree with the Lady?"

Juliette smirked shyly, and then gave a nod. "It is a rather lovely structure, my Lord."

Now, Jasper addressed his butler. "How about you, Elijah? Do you find this manor livable?"

He waited a moment for an answer, but did not receive one in return. Darcy and Juliette glanced toward the real estate owner, hoping he didn't catch on to the strange vibe between Japser and Eli.

"Elijah?" Jasper called.

Eli looked, his attention snagged. "Pardon? My apologies, Master, I was...lost."

To take the attention off of Eli, Jasper faced the real estate owner and put a smile on. "I believe we'll take it."

"Oh, darling," Darcy jumped in, "Would you mind if I had another look around? I just enjoyed it so much, I would like another tour, if you do not mind."

"Of course," Jasper said, "Do as you please."

A second later Darcy and Juliette disappeared up the curved stairway, leaving himself, Eli and the real estate owner with each other. Jasper wished for the old man to take the quiet hint and leave so he could have a chance to speak with Eli before departing. He cleared his throat, addressing the old man after, "Why don't you gather the paperwork and so forth? I'm sure my wife would like to call this place her own before leaving."

"Oh, yes, right away, Earl Lancechester."

Japser watched impatiently as the old man wobbled his way outside, the heavy, rounded off, oak door slamming shut behind him. He sighed his frustration next, finding it increasingly difficult to hold up this false facade of being cheerful when he was feeling rather exhausted and indifferent. "Elijah," he said, looking up at the stalky butler, "You must wake up, especially when we are in the company of others. I know what you are going through right now, but others do not and they will find your attitude strange. Forgive my imprudence, but I ask that you speak when you are spoken to." When it seemed as though Eli was "lost" again, Japser looked back at the doors to be certain the old man wasn't returning and set himself in front of Eli, gawking up at him half annoyed and half empathized. "Are you listening to me?"