XI - Fragile State

Start from the beginning

"Alright then," Anna sighed, "Since I can't seem to talk any sense into you...goodnight, Elijah."

He nodded, "Goodnight."

When she was gone Eli swore loudly and slammed a fist down on the surface of the nightstand; instantly regretting doing so as pain rippled up his arm to his stiff shoulders. He was an idiot to think he could hide these wounds from Jasper, let alone make it seem like everything was peachy. Especially now that Jasper seemed...hurt.

Eli guessed the picture Jasper walked in on didn't look too good either. With him half naked in a room alone with a pretty girl like Anna, who wouldn't get the wrong impression? Adjusting the tie around his neck, Eli tried to make himself presentable before heading up to Jasper's room. If he was going to hide something from the boy, he might as well clear the air.

Almost to Jasper's bedroom chamber, Eli slowed his steps when he became aware of the dim glow of light emitting from the archway of the library. In the darkness of the corridor, it looked like the mouth of an open cast iron oven. He peered inside to find Jasper's slight body stretching, standing on the tips of his toes, to reach a book on a high shelf in the bookcase. A slim smile pulled at the corner of Eli's mouth and he entered the room.

Not catching Jasper's attention right away, he sorely plucked the thick writhing hardback from the shelf.

Jasper gasped and staggered back. After a second's hesitation, almost seeming afraid to look his butler in the eye, he snatched the book away and circled around for his chair in front of the dancing fireplace. "Go away," he ordered.

Eli flinched at the command, not expecting the harshness. "But, Jasper..."

Only able to see the top of the blonde boy's head, Eli stayed where he was in the shadows of the library. "Leave me be," Jasper said, "I'm reading."

"Jasper, hear me."

His small voice rose, "I said, leave me be, Elijah!"

Eli looked over his shoulder. Quickly he went to check in the hallway to see if anyone was coming, but from the silence gripping the manor, he took a good guess at saying all the nobles were already tucked away. With that in mind, he went for Jasper and brought himself before the chair. "You won't allow me to explain myself?"

Jasper's gaze was dark with shadowed irritation, "What is there to explain?" he questioned, the antagonism in his voice was clear. "Are you going to explain away how you were fucking my sister's maid in your chamber!?"

"That's not what–."

"How you gave her the satisfaction of being invited to your bed?"

"Jasper, let me–."

"Or maybe you were trying to make me look like a bloody idiot for actually giving you access to my bed!" Jasper stood from the chair, shoving the heavy book against Eli's chest and turned, stomping away. "Thank you for making me the fool, you heart stabber!"

Ouch...

Not only did Jasper's words hurt, but when the book he shoved into Eli's chest collided with him, the soreness amplified significantly. He quickly set the hardback down and hastened after the irate Young Master. Just before Jasper could slam his chamber door behind him, Eli caught the heaviness and slipped into the room.

"Get out!" Jasper shouted, louder now that he didn't have to worry about his voice carrying throughout the manor's many halls.

"Jasper, let me explain," Eli pleaded. "What you saw–."

"–was you tidying up after sticking your greedy cock into another person."

Eli couldn't believe how far this was being blown out of proportion. He dragged two hands of utter frustration through his red hair. "If you'd let me speak."