18

I woke up to a room illuminated by blinding light and the sound of something moving around. I closed my eyes then opened them again, blinking rapidly to help them adjust to the light. Initially, I didn't know where I was. Once my eyes are fully open I realize I was still in Dominic's room at his new house, but everything seemed different. I can see every single brush stroke made to paint the walls and every land and groove within the wooden door.

As I take in a breath through my nose I smell food; raw bacon and eggs to be exact. Among those scents is something sweet and coffee beans inciting a rumble of hunger deep within my stomach. I know I'm still getting used to being a wolf and I'm supposed to have heightened senses now, but they seem extra sensitive today. I mean, raw bacon? Really?

Swinging my feet over the side of the bed I stood up and felt...different. If I was in wolf form my ears would be pointed and my body entirely still. When we're in danger our wolves seem to sense it and become alert, on edge ready to attack when need be. Yet, I don't sense any danger at all. In fact, I feel peaceful and more connected to my wolf. Maybe this is what happens when you want nothing more than to jump your mate and he refuses. Nope can't see why I'd be peaceful over that. I wonder if I tell Dominic how strange I feel if I can convince him that the cause is lack of mating?

Snatching my toothbrush out of my bag I laughed the whole way to the bathroom at the stupidity of my last thought. Even if I could force tears I doubt my stubborn mate would give in to me. I know now that when he has his mind made on something, there is no changing it.

As I'm brushing my teeth I looked up into the mirror to assess the mess that is my hair, but what I saw made me drop my toothbrush completely, leaving a trail of bubbles all over my lips.

My eyes. Without taking my eyes away from my own reflection I slapped my hand against the wall in a desperate attempt to flip the light switch. When the light cuts on, I all but hopped up on the counter to get a closer look at my eyes. The morning's light pouring through the window actually wasn't playing tricks on me. My eyes appear to be lighter, going into a brighter amber shade that looks absolutely creepy with a grayish color circling my pupils, fanning out like points of a star.

Frantically I rinsed my mouth out and washed my face, needing Dominic to tell me I'm just losing my mind and seeing things. When I made it to the top of the stairs Dominic was standing at the bottom looking just as panicked as I felt.

"Jade, what—"

"My eyes—"

I stopped two steps away from the bottom where he stood when our eyes locked. His seemed to have changed too. Those pools of melted chocolate I found myself drowning in just last night now look gray. A grayish-brown that I would attribute as being the color of birch tree bark. He has the same ring of gray around his pupils and judging by the way he's looking at me, he freaked out too.

"Your eyes." We spoke simultaneously with him coming up one step and me going down, meeting each other in an awkward staring match. Dominic was handsome before, but those eyes, that color on him makes me shiver as though he can see right through me.

"They're beautiful." Again we spoke at the same time, laughing lightly, still not breaking the gaze. Dominic brought his hand up to my cheek and when he touched me my breath caught in my throat. My eyes rolled as I turned into his palm pressing my lips against it. The usual mate tingles are nothing compared to this. My skin heats at the feel of his, sending my wolf into a frenzy and almost makes me lose control. An involuntary moan rolled through me provoking a growl from him.

"What the hell is going on with us?" Huskily he whispered withdrawing his hand from my cheek, scooping me into his arms. We shouldn't be able to feel that connection when our skin isn't in direct contact, but through the cotton of his shirt that covers my body and his, I feel the same currents of heat that have changed the rhythm of my heart.