15

I walked away from him instantly feeling like I should just turn back and run into his arms. The only reason I did not, was because I know I need a second and most likely to free my wolf. Aside from the test with the doctor and the test with Braden, she hasn't had the chance to really enjoy nature and we're craving it. I also need it to come to grips with what I just heard. I wasn't expecting what Cameron said to be right about Alice and definitely didn't expect Dominic to tell me she'd passed away. I could see the hurt in his eyes when he spoke of her. Felt the emotions he holds for me, as well. There is no doubt in my mind that he really does feel something for me. Despite that, I can't help but question if it's only because of the bond we created when he claimed me. Why does it even matter?

Once I turned the corner and entered the woods behind my house, I felt as if my chest was tightening. The urge to go back to Dominic was even stronger now and all hopes of running in wolf form was loss. If I let her free now, she'd just go to him and before that happens I want to at least sit and get the facts straight. My wolf has her mind made up about Dominic so nothing will ever make her not want him. My human feels the same way except there is an ugly green monster accompanying the devil on my shoulder, whispering negatives in my ear.

The rushing water in the stream that separates our land from the neighbors instantly soothes me as I take a seat at the edge of the bank resting my back against a rather large exposed root. This was my favorite place to come as a kid. The ground was covered by mint leaves and the surrounding clusters of pine trees kept everyone but Jaxon and his super nose from picking up my scent. When I needed to be alone I knew I could come here to let everything go. I needed this place more than ever right now. Had I stood in front of Dominic any longer my emotions would have led to me doing or saying something that I would later regret and could've possibly led to me losing him and that's the last thing I want.

Confusion seems to be my main emotion right now. Bewilderment over the lack of answers the doctor and our Alpha could provide us with. It's overwhelming not knowing how I ended up with two mates, having them both want me, and hearing my wolf's opinion at the same time. She made it clear that Dominic is her choice but... It's stupid really but, one of the things she's showing me is jealousy; envy for the woman born to be Dominic's mate. At the same time, she holds pride over him now being ours.

There is no doubt, no question in my mind about what we feel for Dominic. I'm just afraid it isn't real. Not long after I change my position on the soft patch of grass bringing my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them, that irresistible scent wafts in the air and footsteps ensue behind me.

Instead of seeing the silhouette of a man reflecting in the water at my feet I'm met by a whimper that prompts me to look his way. The pure chocolate brown wolf nearly towering over me was looking back at me with sadness, like he'd been scolded or would be told to go away. He took a single step and paused as if he were waiting for me to snap, shout, or react to him following me after I asked him not to. When nothing happened he approached me, nudging my right arm with his snout until I let my legs straighten and hold my arms up so that he can lay his head in my lap.

He looked so much like a sad puppy staring up at me with those eyes nearly the same shade as his fur. I can only imagine what he's thinking so with a sigh I rake my fingers through the soft fur of his back attempting to reassure him that there is no anger toward him.

"You think I'm mad Dominic and I'm not. I just wanted to think a little bit to make sure I didn't react the wrong way to things. All of this is a lot to take in at once and it's confusing. Since you're here anyway I think you should shift back so we can talk about it. Here," shrugging off my jacket I placed it over the lower half of his body so that his buddy would at least be covered when he shifts back. Just in case I even close my eyes only opening them when I feel him palm my cheek. "I told you not to follow me."