The entirety of their morning so far had been an oscillation between speechlessness and expression, a conflict of caution before treading on unknown waters against a burst of concern all of a sudden. An oscillation that Jiwon wasn't in favor of, only made her feel something was wrong.

"I was supposed to bother you yesterday, but I met your mother instead," Jiwon said, a faint curve drawing on her lips. "We had lunch out and I was so guilty the whole time. Her happiness felt so genuine, I'm afraid when the time comes, she would really be disappointed."

"Why is my life such a big lie?" She chuckled dryly. "I wish your mother could've just hated me instead."

There was a pause.

"Is that why you were looking for me?" he probed. "Hyangmi said it seemed urgent."

"She did?"

"Said you look worried and frantic, and something else I didn't understand."

Jiwon smiled meaningfully. "You're that close now?"

He narrowed her eyes at hers. "Don't change the subject. When I checked my phone, I had a lot of missed calls from you. And when I called, you were out of reach." His gaze was now stern and serious. "So, Kim Jiwon... what's going on? Did anything happen?"

"Nothing, really." Hesitation flickered on her face, a nanosecond of a decision to filter her words. "I just... really miss some dear to me."

Yoongi nodded in understanding. "Do you wish to visit that person?"

With a rueful smile tugging on her lips, Jiwon pressed her palms on her legs and bobbed her head down. "I wish I could."

"Maybe next time," added Jiwon. "I kind of don't think I'm worthy to face this person right now."

Yoongi warily raised a brow at her direction.

Jiwon drew a ball of breath out and tilted her head back. The next thing she did took Yoongi by surprise. His body stiffened as she leaned on his shoulder, the unusual consciousness over the non-existent distance between them petrified him. Not even the way her loose hair tickled his neck permitted him to move.

"Hey Yoongi," uttered Jiwon. "I'm going to tell you something, but promise me you're not going to laugh."

"If you're about to confess your undying love for me then just—"

"You've done a lot for me already. I just want to thank you for everything."

A pregnant silence conspired between them.

A second.

And another.

And then the back of his hand against her forehead.

"You really should take care of yourself before your fever gets to your head."

Jiwon flicked his hand away and scoffed, sitting up straight. Her elbow once again hit Yoongi's torso, much harder this time.

"That's more like you." Yoongi laughed, soothing his ribs as if he were the least concerned about it. "Which reminds me..."

"What?" Jiwon hissed.

Yoongi angled his head to her direction, eyes crinkling on the sides. His face inched closer and poked through her personal space, yet Jiwon could only stay still. Was she trying to prove she wasn't intimidated at all? Or was it because she couldn't will herself to move even if she wished to do so? Jiwon, with her shaky breath, wasn't sure either.

"You're the one who didn't put the piano key cover back last time you were here." Jiwon blinked at him owlishly, as if she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Yoongi continued, "The one you stained with orange juice and hid in a cupboard."

When Jiwon refused to speak, Yoongi reached for the cover on the side.

"The housekeeper told me she found this on the cupboard and thought I purposely hid it there. No one else has been here aside from you."

In response to his accusing but certain allegation, Jiwon averted her gaze and warily turned away from Yoongi whilst sporting an innocent smile. Stealthily, she stretched the distanced between the two of them.

And just before she dashed away from him, she squealed under her breath.

"I just recovered from a fever. Please don't kill me!"

— ✿ —
*throws confetti whilst jumping up and down in excitement* yes, hello, it's a wild update! FINALLY. I'm so sorry for being so late, and thank you for being ever patient and kind to me. I miss being here and reading comments and interacting with all of you, honestly. I hope you're all having a great day. All the love always!