Chapter 10

"If I die, I assure you I am definitely going to resurrect just to take you with m— For fuck's sake Min Yoongi, could you please slow down!"

"Since when did people slow down when they're intentionally trying to get away?"

Despite Jiwon sitting sideways behind Yoongi with eyes completely shut, she could vividly imagine the smug look on his face. She sucked a deep breath in and shook her head to get rid of the strands of hair stuck to her face, as the wind brushed and tousled her hair.

She secured her grip, hands clasped together so tight around his waist, as if his torso were her lifeline. Also muttering a silent prayer while she was at it.

In Jiwon's perspective, Yoongi was racing with death. And perhaps she was fine with it. He could pursue the afterlife for all she cared.

But not when he was taking her with him.

Or maybe that was actually fine with her, the split-second thought passed her mind.

Each pedal sent ticklish sensations down her gut, her sense of touch barely there as if she'd slip out of her seat and fall into the abyss anytime now. By the time that Yoongi slowed down, Jiwon could hardly move her legs that had stiffened in her position.

He turned left at the corner and halted in front of a convenience store. Immediately, Jiwon sprung out of her seat, palm resting on her chest, and breathed heavily.

"Have you never tried to ride a bike?"

"I have. Once," Jiwon struggled in between breaths. "I fell right after the first pedal."

"Sounds tragic." Yoongi snickered.

"Very." Jiwon rolled her eyes heavenward. She stretched her arms and kicked on her toes, releasing the tension on her muscle and nerves. "And thanks to you, I don't think I'm ever going to try again. Whoever told you it's fine to ride a bike at that speed can have a word or two with me."

"That's not even too fast," Yoongi told her and got off the bike. He kicked the side stand and walked towards Jiwon, observing her face brazenly with an almost pitiful expression.

"What?" Jiwon asked rather impatiently. His grimace wasn't helping her decipher if he were being sarcastic with the sympathy.

Yoongi slid his cap over her head and tapped on her shoulder. "Wait here."

Jiwon's brows furrowed for a moment before she blinked in confusion. Then, she lifted her head whilst she held on the peak of the cap, eyes trailing Yoongi's figure disappear into the convenience store.

The words behind his gesture could only be her imagination, but she certainly believed it ought to be some sort of comfort, enough to trigger ardor within her.

As her shoulders heaved, the pattern of her heartbeat gradually shifted, contractions no longer from the adrenaline of the bike ride. And Jiwon could recognize it. That same wave of vulnerability tugging at her chest, a whirlwind in her lungs.

"Stop it," she muttered to herself, shaking her head and took tranquilizing breaths.

Yoongi returned minutes later to Jiwon who was then already sitting on the curb. He joined her and offered a water bottle, eyes fixated in front of him, and she took it without saying a word.

"We used to ride bikes a lot when I was younger. Almost everyone in my neighborhood knew how to ride a bike. I'm surprised you didn't."

"We," Jiwon spoke up, as if her voice had just arrived from a far away place. "So, I'm assuming you actually have friends?" A light chuckle left her mouth. "I met Jimin already. Is he one of them?"