The Affairs of Dragons

It was the 10,000th birthday celebrations for the Yellow Dragon King, and the other Dragon Kings had gathered in his palace for the festivities. Naturally, at such an auspicious occasion, there was much feasting and drinking. All was going well, until the celebrations were interrupted by the arrival of the Yellow Dragon King's crab butler.

"Sire," the crustacean announced, bowing until his nose touched the floor. "There is a petition from a mortal named An Lo. He seeks good weather for planting crops."

The Yellow Dragon King raised a claw. "Very well. As it is my 10,000th birthday, it shall be done." He turned to the Azure Dragon King. "Ao Guang - spring is your season. Go deal with this."

Ao Guang leapt from his couch. "At once!" he said, and flew from the Yellow Dragon King's palace.

The feasting continued, but was again interrupted by the return of the Yellow Dragon King's crab butler.

"Sire," the crustacean announced, knocking his forehead on the floor in respect. "There is a request from An Lo. He seeks good weather for growing crops."

The Yellow Dragon King raised a claw. "Again? Very well. I shall grant his request - but only because it is my 10,000th birthday." He turned to the Red Dragon King. "Ao Qin - summer is your season. Go and deal with this."

Ao Qin leapt from his couch. "Immediately," he said, and flew from the Yellow Dragon King's palace.

The company returned to the festivities, only to be interrupted for a third time by the arrival of the Yellow Dragon King's crab butler.

"Sire," the crustacean announced as he kow-towed before his master. "An Lo demands good weather for harvesting crops."

Ao Run, the White Dragon King of autumn, made to rise from his couch, but the Yellow Dragon King raised a claw. "Stay!" he commanded, and Ao Run did so. "Did you say 'demands'?"

"Sire," the crab butler answered, but said no more.

"I see," said the Yellow Dragon King. "This mortal has petitioned, then asked and now demands. He has interrupted my birthday three times, but has shown neither gratitude nor humility. I shall send him the weather that he deserves!" And, with that, the Yellow Dragon King leapt from his couch and flew away.

He returned a few minutes later, a satisfied smile upon his snout. "I think," the Yellow Dragon King announced, "that An Lo has learnt his place."

And the 10,000th birthday celebrations continued without further interruption.