Chapter Twenty-Eight

We were interrupted by a knock on the door. Actually, it was one knock, then his mother barged in.

She sauntered to our direction and looked at me with disgust.

Where the hell did that come from?

"Get your filthy hands off my son!" She lunged at me with her teeth bared.

I looked at her with widened eyes. She was so sweet a few moments ago.

"Mum!" Caspian took hold of her hands and pushed them behind her back. He whispered something in her ear that swiftly wiped the crazed look on her face and replaced it with a blank stare.

She briskly walked out of the room without looking back at me.

"I'm so sorry for her attitude," Caspian apologized. He moved towards me before planting a deep kiss on my lip.

He turned to leave but I held him back. I looked up at him, insecurity taking over my features.

"What did I do? She liked me a few moments ago! Was it something I said? Is it because–," I rambled, my heart beating a million times per minute.

"No. No. I'll go see what's wrong. Okay?" He assured me, kissing my forehead again.

I sat still on his bed, pulling the hem of my skirt down repeatedly while he was gone. I tried to find something to keep myself busy, looking around the room but I came up blank.

The door clicked and Caspian saunters in. My pupils dilated. I shook my head to get rid of the feeling.

I stood up hurriedly.

"What did she say? Should I have gone with you? What happened?" I was internally panicking.

"It's okay. It's all a silly misunderstanding. She'll even apologize to you when she gets back from church with my dad," he explained, rubbing his hands up and down my arms.

"Are you sure? Was it something I did?" I couldn't shake off the feeling that I had done something wrong.

"It's okay, alright?" His voice came out stern, like he was tired of reassuring me.

I pathetically whimpered. "I'm sorry. I'm just really frightened right now. I just wanted her to like me."

He pinched his nose and looked down at me compassionately. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap. It's okay. Nothing to worry your pretty little head about."

"Okay." I rested my head against his heart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I woke up the next morning to a pillow snuggled to my side replacing Caspian. I touched his side of his bed, noting that it had gone cold.

How long has he been up?, I thought.

I turned over and checked the time.

Three minutes past eight. It was still early. I couldn't hear anyone's voice–not like I could in such a big house– but it was strange.

Is this how it is every morning?

I padded downstairs as quietly as I could, yesterday's occurrence still on my mind.

In my rush, I bumped into a maid–the same maid Sasha, Caspian's mom, snapped at yesterday.

"Buenos días, señorita. Master Caspian said to tell you that they are off to church. They'll be back soon," she said. I snorted at the "Master Caspian" part.

"Gracias," I said, with the little knowledge of Spanish that I had. "What is your name?"

"Selena, señorita," she said, bowing her head.