Chapter Twenty-seven

What the actual fuck?

Caspian is a dad? He has a child with Esperanza.

The amount of hurt and betrayal I felt at that moment was incomprehensible. That was what he couldn't tell me. I was momentarily frozen.

Finally, I looked up at him. He looked down at me in worry and...shock?

Esperanza let out a laugh. So does everyone else in the room.

"Haven't I missed you,baby. Come gimme a hug," Caspian says, surprising me. I was confused.

The little girl giggled as she was passed to Caspian by Esperanza.

"Ma-ma say to," she giggled again before testing her chin on his shoulder and instantly drooling on his suit jacket.

"Ma-ma say we pway game."

"Gotcha," Esperanza said, laughing again.

I couldn't believe what was going on. Everyone in the room was still chatting lazily with each other like nothing happened.

"Excuse me." I said, wanting to get away from all the drama.

I heard footsteps right behind me as I made my way to the garden.

"Baby, wait," he pleaded. I walked faster, desperate to get away from him.

"Baby, please. I can explain. Charlotte is not my daughter." His voice was starting to sound frustrated.

"Kat!" He shouts.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why didn't you tell me? What-" I shrieked. Tears were threatening to spill.

"Wait, I can explain. Please, baby, just listen."

I stop.

He took my hand and pulled me to the fountain. We sat. No one said anything, we just listened to the silence.

"Esperanza was my best mate's wife. His name was Charlie. He disappeared two years ago when Charlotte was born. He'd been getting threats from someone so he had to leave. For his family," he said. His voice was detached and cold, like he'd gotten used to the situation. Like he couldn't feel anymore.

"He left me a note; said I should take care of his family. Esperanza was my best friend before she met him. I had to. I'm basically a father figure to Charlotte. I support them, but I hardly see them. They even live in a different state. Charlotte knows not to call me her daddy. She's three, she knows I'm not her father because she remembers Charlie. He was there for the first year of her life. She knows me as just Uncle Cassie."

I raised my eyebrows as that.

This isn't a situation to laugh.

"Then why didn't you tell me when I kept on asking? Didn't you trust me?" I asked, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"I don't like talking about it. We were three. Charlie disappeared. Zeke died last year."

I gasped.

"I'm so sorry. But you should know that no matter what you can always tell me everything," I said.

"I know now. Let's go back in. They'll be waiting," he said. He smiled at me before kissing me.

As we walked back to the dining room, Esperanza approached us with Charlotte on her hip.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know you'd be here Kate. It was just a silly joke." Her eyes were pleading, too pleading.

Seemingly fake.

"It's okay, cher. I've explained to Kat and she understands but don't do that again. This little cutie might start thinking I am her dad," he said, patting Charlotte on her head. She giggled and stretched her arms out to him, signalling for him to carry her.