Chapter Thirty One

The cool night breeze smacked me in the face once Caspian opened the door to leave, but it was gone in a split second. I let out a deep sigh and glanced at the bright screen of my phone.

22:52.

I dropped it on a pillow and stood up. For some reason, I found it difficult to breathe. A subtle burn erupted in my chest and my I suddenly couldn't feel my arms. Hurriedly, I kicked off my heels walked back to the dining area.

I finished clearing up the dishes and loaded them in the dishwasher before going back to sit on the couch.

23:34.

Well that didn't take long.

I woke up the next morning in an uncomfortable position on the couch. My silk dress was crunched up and I'd slept with my makeup still on. Ew. My mind flashed back to the previous night and it dawned on me.

He didn't come back.

There had to be some sort of explanation. I pushed my hair back and looked around for my phone. On finding it, I pushed down the power button, expecting to see a text from Caspian but saw nothing.

Just great.

Kimberly was still in Vegas so I still had the apartment to myself till she got back on Friday. I walked to my room and spotted Yakult walking in circles. Damn, I didn't even hear him bark all night.

He let out a bark and clawed at my legs, encouraging me to pick him up, which I did happily. I dropped him in the middle of my bed then sat in front of my vanity and proceeded to wipe of the remaining makeup on my face. I took off my clothes took a quick shower before putting Yakult's food in his bowl.

It had been over an hour and Caspian still hadn't called. I had expected him to at least call me before he went in for work. I silently worried about his well-being.

What if something happened to Charlotte?

What if he got mugged on his way there?

What if.

I pushed those thoughts out of my mind and focused on getting through the day. I forced myself to believe that he would be fine and decided that if he didn't call by his lunch break, I'd head to Octa and find out if he got in this morning.

Besides, I have to look at office spaces I can rent to start up my own firm.

By early afternoon, I heard a knock on my door. Cas stood at my doorstep with a bouquet of mixed flowers in one hand while typing furiously on his phone with his other hand. I was pissed yet hurt at the same time due to the events over the last couple of hours and I was going to talk to him about it, even if he had an explanation.

I opened the door and he looked up at me. All my anger evaporated at the sight of his face. His eyes had bags underneath them and his usual stubble was slightly more than it usually was.

"Babe," I sighed. "Come in. Gosh, what happened? Is Charlotte okay?"

I took the flowers from his hands while he pocketed his phone and kissed him on his eye bags. My legs couldn't go higher.

"She's okay, love. Just something minor. She fell and broke her arm and you know how much I love her," he said, holding me by the waist.

"But your eyes. You haven't gotten any sleep." I pouted.

"Yes, I got called up for a conference call shortly after she went to sleep and I had to work with Dad after," he explained.

I rubbed his forearms through his shirt. "A conference call that late?" I didn't want to get suspicious because I knew Caspian wouldn't hurt me. Right?