Chapter Six: Old Friend (Three Years Later)

Can you retwist dreads?" a customer asked me.

"I can do anything. Take a seat boo."

It's been three years since I've ran out on Hakiem. And in those three years I have found more about myself then I ever thought I could. Both LaLa and I thought Atlanta, Georgia was a far enough destination. Plus, the opportunities are endless here. With help from Ma May, we opened our own hair salon. She, of course, gave me an ear full when I told her I had left. Don't know if she was more upset that I left or that I didn't come see her before I departed. Either way she cussed me out.

I won't say I've always been interested in hair. I never thought about a career period, let alone letting this be it. But I'm good with my hands and I like doing new things. I saw this as a challenge for me to heal by keeping my mind on other things. So, I guess you can say I taught myself a new skill. I can admit I have gotten further than I thought I would have. With the skill as well as my own inner battle.

I finished with the guy's hair and he handed me the money he owed. I began cleaning my station to get ready for my next appointment. I could see out of the corner of my eye that the guy was still standing by me and he was burning a hole in my face staring at me.

"You got a man?" he asked me.

I smiled and sat down in my chair. I haven't had any dealings with anyone since I've been down south and I plan on keeping it that way.

"Why?"

"Because I can use a girl like you. Can I have ya number?"

"Use a girl like me?"

"Not like that-"

"Come back and see me for another retwist when you need it."

LaLa came and stood by me and I shook my head. She chopped off her hair into a pixie cut, and it still makes me laugh when I see her big ass head. Certain shit is for certain people, and that damn sure wasn't for her. But who I am to knock the girl's confidence?

"She said come again, meaning bye."

He sucked his teeth and walked out the shop. I probably won't be getting his service again.

"Girl I'm tired of these fine ass men coming in here trying to get with you and you turnin' them down."

"Look, if the dude really wanted me he would keep trying. Once I turn them down, they run to you."

"And I'm lovin' it."

I laughed and started counting all the money I made so far. I need to go get some more products. I started making a mental list in my head until LaLa interrupted my thoughts like she always does.

"Oh my damn."

"What?"

I followed her gaze and almost passed out. There, coming through my shop's door, was Ramel. I quickly checked my breath, and tried to look busy.

"My son here just needs a little shape up. Can you hook him up?"

I finally looked up and hit him with a million-dollar smile. He stared for a few seconds then returned my smile once he realized who I was.

"Zharia."

"In the flesh. Hey Ramel." I said, trying not to blush.

"What's up girl? It's been a while."

He looked over at LaLa and started laughing.

"What's so funny?" she said rolling her eyes.

"Your head."