2

I woke up to what I originally thought was my blaring alarm. But upon closer inspection of the sound, I realized it was my mother's voice, shrill with the sheer volume.

"Leila, get up right now. You can't be late to the first day of class!"

I heard footsteps enter my room as I refused to open my eyes.

"Is she still not awake?" my father's voice asked. "I will never forgive you for giving her the sleeping gene, Tal."

"Wow, okay. First of all, Tobias, rude! Second of all, I feel very attacked right now. We're not all robots so we don't have an internal alarm system," my mom answered.

"She's half robot," my dad said. "Have you tried turning her on and off? Maybe if we put her in rice..."

As much as I wanted to continue sleeping, that woke me up. "You are not putting me in rice," I said, sitting up. "The only way I'm letting you surround me with carbs is if it's donuts and I'm eating them all."

My dad laughed. "You really are your mother's daughter."

I really was. Everyone told me I was a carbon-copy of my mother. From my dark brown hair to my blue eyes to my height, I'd gotten it all from her. My dad had given me his bone structure, his affinity for art, and his hate for chocolate.

"Well, now that you're awake, get up and get dressed," my mom said. "Are Lucas and Addy picking you and Jason up?"

I nodded, stretching before swinging my feet off the side of the bed. This was the saddest part of every morning, leaving the beautiful comfort of a bed and living my day to day life.

"I take it you're not planning on getting your license anytime soon?" my dad asked.

"Dad," I groaned. "I'm going to get it eventually. I just don't get why I have to read a book first."

"Leila, it's a tiny book. I'm sure you can take thirty minutes out of your day to study it and take the knowledge test."

"Thirty minutes of reading? No thank you."

My dad held up his hands in surrender. "Your loss."

They left to let me get changed. But instead of getting changed, I sat on the edge of my bed for ten minutes, willing myself to get up. When I was finally ready to, I made the unfortunate decision to scroll through my notifications. Before I knew it, I heard my mom yell, "Leila, Addy's here!"

"Shit!" I groaned, blasting off my bed and into the bathroom. The first day of school was always a Free Dress Day, meaning no uniforms, and I still hadn't even picked out an outfit. I washed my face and brushed my teeth in seconds before grabbing black jeans and a random t-shirt, not even bothering to glance in the mirror. I ran downstairs and my mom threw me a packet of Poptarts for breakfast.

"Bye!" I yelled at my parents as I ran out the door.

I sprinted through the long driveway to Lucas's car, a brand new matte black Mercedes G-Wagon his parents bought him for his birthday. When I was finally inside, I was breathing so hard I checked my pulse to make sure I was still alive.

"Leila, what the fuck," Lucas laughed, looking me over. Him and Addy burst out laughing as they examined my outfit. I looked down, I was just wearing normal jeans and a t-shirt, why would that be funny?