Chapter Eleven- I Find It Hard To Stay With The Words You Say

Start from the beginning

 She smiled a little and almost laughed.

 “I needed a fresh start.” she said simply, her happy expression faltering slightly. Bullied, I thought. “I’m sorry- I’m kinda awkward around new people. Well, people in general, actually.”

 “Don’t worry. I used to be like that.” I grinned.

 “How did you stop?”

 “I made friends with people who were like me. I transferred here earlier this year. I didn’t like to speak to people and I certainly didn’t like to hang out with them. I liked to be by myself with my thoughts and my music. So I had to switch schools ‘cause I was bullied and shit at my old one and I was in a bad way and so… yeah. I came here and met my friends and I don’t know how they did it but they kind of… made me feel included. They made me want to open up to them.” I told her. She nodded and didn’t say anything for a while.

 “I’m scared.” she murmured. “Can I stick with you? You seem ok.”

 “Thanks very much.” I laughed. “Sure, of course you can.”

 She pulled out her planner and showed me her timetable. We had all the same lessons, which threw me a little. I decided that she needed a good start to her time here, so I took her back to form and even though she was completely silent the whole time we were there she didn’t try to run away again. You’ve got to start somewhere, I suppose.

 We had chemistry first period. Bex seemed more scared in the corridors; she was about the same height as Jake so most people towered over her. When we got to the science room I introduced her to Mr Poole and we sat at the back with Jake so I could introduce them to each other. They seemed to get on well, which I was pleased about seeing as Bex would most likely be hanging out with me and the other guys. If she liked Jake she’d like everyone else. I almost expected her to be intimidated by his outgoing, almost a little obnoxious personality, but they chatted and laughed like old friends.

 “Was that your, err, boyfriend with you earlier, James?” Bex asked me randomly.

 “Yeah, that was George.” I said with a grin, and Jake rolled his eyes.

 “Yes, yes, we all know that James and George are so in love they can’t control their libidos and nor can they control where they do it.” Jake snapped. I punched him on the shoulder.

 “Do you have to talk about my sex life in front of a partial stranger?” I hissed.

 “Well, considering you had sex in my bed, I’m going to say yes. This is my revenge.” he said, his eyes glowing. “I have to talk about sex with Bex.”

 Bex laughed and I face palmed. The rest of the lesson passed quickly and then me and Bex parted ways with Jake to go to English. The rest of the morning passed quickly and soon it was lunchtime. I told Bex that we had to stick to the shadowy line of the trees along the side of the football field to get to the group’s rendezvous point. She chuckled and started to dart about whilst humming the James Bond theme tune. I laughed and pretended my hand was a gun and started running and rolling through the trees. We ducked through the bushes and got to the meeting place, but no-one else was there yet.

 “How many other guys are there?” she asked me, sounding anxious once again.

 “Well, there’s me, Jake, and four other guys. And now you.” I said with a smile which she returned half-heartedly.

 I think that Jake had told the other guys to arrive at intervals so has not to overwhelm Bex. I introduced them one by one to her as each person arrived and joined the flow of conversation. When George got there he sat down beside me and clasped my hand tightly. Bex eyed our hands and grinned.