1: A New Life

There it is again. The whining. Clayton flopped down on the bed and groaned into his pillow, wishing he were deaf. The child was stubborn. He wasn't even ten weeks old and his parents already knew he was gonna grow up loud.

Hunter Pyromiller was a handful, metaphorically and literally. Two strong lungs for a child so small... It was an utter curse. Parenting was new for both Clayton and his elven fiance, Oren.

The boy already began to hold his parents' features after his first week alive. Their freckles dotted his little shoulders and cheeks and Clayton's ocean eyes transferred to the little mongrel. His hair had yet to grow in, but Oren could already foresee the sandy hair of his new son.

There was pain, and there was even fear, but the delivery was much more than a success. The boy was perfectly healthy and cried like there was no tomorrow. But at the time, the two didn't care that he cried. He was alive. He was in perfect condition.

Though it was brighter then.

Oren sauntered into the boy's room briskly, where the crying grew louder. The cries were neither hungry nor pained. They were calls for attention, even when his parents paid him every second of the day to look after and take care of him. The elf turned to the left where his large lemon crib stood, right in front of a window that let in soft sunlight.

He bent over the crib's wall and picked the boy up, cradling him in folded arms. The elf relaxed when the boy quieted down. "I love you but you're a pain in the rump sometimes." Oren muttered with a sigh. He swayed side to side and walked over to his dresser. Right now it was occupied by blankets and diapers, but when he's older it'll be filled with actual clothes.

He reached for the music box above the dresser and cranked it up, holding the child firmly in his other arm. A light melody began to play from the golden box and the boy became content with the sound. Oren sighed softly and looked down to his son. "I wonder who you'll become when you're older." the elf pondered aloud. The boy stared up at him through glassy cyan eyes, as if he were listening to every word his father said.

"You're very loud." Oren pointed out, almost accusingly. The infant made a small aborted gurgle in response. The elf laughed. A silence followed until a few knocks at the door caught the elf's attention. He swivelled on his heel to see Clayton leaning on the door frame.

"He always shuts up when you're in here." Clayton chortled. He pushed off of the wooden structure and entered the room, smiling as his eyes landed on his little boy. "What's your secret?" he asked.

"You just gotta... I don't know. Treat him like he's glass." The elf raised a finger and wiggled it, summoning a soft vine from his fingertip. The plant swayed and caressed the infant's cheek, making him hum softly.

"Here, you try." The elf extended the boy in his arms and Clayton stepped back. He held up his hands defensively, looking down to the harmless child.

"You want me to hold him?" he gave a look of confusion and Oren only nudged the baby forward.

"You're his parent too. Gotta learn how to take care of him if I'm not here." Oren gently placed the infant in Clayton's arms, to which the human only wrapped his hands around the small form.

"He's quiet." Clayton stated, almost entranced by the tired baby in his hold. The elf watched in awe, placing a hand on his hip as his ears twitched upwards.

"You're making him fall asleep and it's only six." Oren adjusted his forest hoodie and slipped his hands into the pocket at his abdomen. Oren leaned down and gently kissed his son's forehead, earning a small noise from the boy. As he slipped off to unconsciousness, Clayton gingerly set him into his yellow crib and covered the small body in his soft fleece blanket.

"Let me guess, when he realizes we're not in here he'll start wailing again." Clayton sighed, stepping forward and leaning his forehead against the elf's. Oren only smiled.

"Yeah but I'll be right there to comfort him, like always."

"You're such a mom."

Oren frowned, obviously a little uncomfortable about the whole 'mother' thing. He was a man, and he was sure men could be mothers.. But to be one himself? It felt off. "I guess.. I mean, I'm still not used to the fact that someone has to be motherly. Uh, I've always wanted to be the dad too."

"We'll both be fathers then. It's what you want that counts." Clayton smiled and lightly kissed his fiancé, lips melding together perfectly as a silence overcame them. It seemed as if all Oren's worries washed away and sunk to the deep end.

"You're cheesy."

Oren looked up to his fiancé and grinned teasingly. His ears twitched upwards when the sunlight caught his attention. It shifted as the sun began to set, shining in through silky curtains. The bright honey light reminded him of their pet, an elderly dog in fact. He had an aura about him that gave off something golden.

"Did you check on Chip?" Oren suddenly asked through the silence. Clayton nearly jumped at the question. Chip was their loving Yorkshire Terrior. His fur was a light tea color, always curly and soft. The pads of his paws were a rich liquorice and his nails were always trimmed low.

"Yeah, he's laying on his bed. I gave him a few treats just before this rascal started throwing another fit." His eyes pointed to Hunter. Oren chuckled and leaned over the crib's wall, watching as his son slept quietly. He reached up at the attached mobile, which consisted of little black stars and white clouds made of a light, airy foam.

His finger pushed one of the arms so it could slowly spin above the child. A soft tune began to play from the worn speaker, putting the once silent room to ease. Oren stepped back from the child's crib.

He was sure the crib's soft cushion kept the baby warm as he quietly slept.

_____
Thanks for reading!

Here's the totally re-done sequel to Elven Love. Hope you like it!