Chapter 44

I was in a state. And despite being surrounded by 8 different people, none could even hope to help me.

Someone was dead.

Someone was dead.

And my brother was part of it.

"Alexa," Seth said softly, "I'm sorry."

My heart started beating at rapid fire. "God, Seth, don't say sorry to me. I'm fucking alive. Say sorry to the parents of that poor girl you killed!"

"Hey," Seth barked at me. "I didn't push her. Blake didn't push her. Addy made her choices. She got drunk, she stood up on the rail, and she said the words that fueled the fight in the first place."

I stared at him, dumbfounded. "I'm sorry, really I am, but could you repeat that? Because it sounds like you are you trying to be innocent. Innocent. Are you trying to tell me that you were on the other side of the world and had absolutely no opportunity to save her?"

No reply.

I threw my hands up in the air. And all this time I thought he was a secret drug dealer.

I snapped my fingers at Seth. "Is that what you are hiding in your closet and in your drawers? Evidence?"

Seth scoffed. "No, Alexa. My pornographic collection did not push Adeline off the boat and I'm protecting it by hiding it in my closet."

I paled. Even though I was talking, it was only masking the fact that the news still hadn't full sunk into my mind. "Blake," I whispered weakly, "I can't stand anymore." He saw my swaying figure and quickly rushed to my side and allowed me to lean my weight on him rather than my broken foot barely being protected by the boot.

GG took the moment to speak. "Why are we here? Alexa knows, now it's all out in the open. Nobody else was there that night, so nobody could possibly know what happened. Its just a prank."

Anthony growled. "You think those calls, those threats, were just a joke? GG, they said they would rip my mom off life support if I didn't show up down here tonight. Damn right I'm not leaving until we get to the bottom of what has been terrorizing us all month!"

Threats. Is that what all those calls were? Was GG's stalker also responsible for everything else.

I looked up at Blake. "What," I said slowly, "what did they tell you to get you to come down here?"

Blake looked away.

My eyes narrowed. "Tell me."

"Alexa-"

"Blake," I hissed.

He swallowed. "They said that if I didn't come down here tonight, and I didn't bring you with me, they would find you and kidnap you and torture you until I killed myself."

"Oh god," I choked. I began to shake and shiver with terror. "Blake, I want to go home. I want to go home now. I didn't ask for this. I didn't ask for any of this."

Blake closed his eyes. "I know. I'm so sorry, Alexa."

I began to cry. What the hell had I done to be dragged into such a nightmare?

"Why are they doing this?" I cried out.

A shot went off into the night, and I swear in that moment, my heart stopped. And for five seconds, I was frozen. I was dead. But when it was up, and my body fought to keep me breathing on that horrid dock, I awoke to see a girl slowly creeping towards us, a handgun twirling between her fingers.

"Not they," the girl said quietly. "She."

I dug my fingernails into Blake's arm. He was now cradling me and holding me as close as he physically could. He didn't want to lose me any more than I wanted to lose myself. "Blake," I stammered in a whisper, "is that-"