Chapter 17

Back to normal sized chapters, lol.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"No!" I let out an exasperated sigh. Graham was such a slow thinker sometimes.

He leaned forward, out of the earshot of the rest of our table mates. "If Seth finds out, he is going to kill you."

"If Seth found out about a lot of things that I've done, my funeral would have been years ago," I chuckled grimly.

"What about me?"

I tilted my head. "What about you?"

"You don't care about my feelings about you skipping our game for Brentwood's?" He scowled.

At the mention of the word 'Brentwood', my lunch table fell into a still silence. They all looked over at me quizzically, to which I could only wave cheerfully. "Nothing's wrong," I assured them. "Graham is just telling me about why Brentwood is going to lose to Farret tonight."

"Go Baylor!" They cheered.

The cafeteria suddenly stopped and chanted back, "Go Baylor!"

I rolled my eyes. I was surprised with myself that I didn't expect that.

Cheering 'Go Baylor' was just a reaction for students whenever someone mentioned Brentwood losing. They beat that into us starting with freshman year. But I lost the school spirit right before junior year when Seth laid out the rules of being the sister of the senior quarterback.

Like hell I was going to listen to him and make his senior year easy, even if the consequence was ruining my own high school career. It was just a natural instinct to disobey your sibling.

I turned back to Graham. "You're not even starting," I argued.

"That's more the reason why you should go," he shot back. "You should be there because you are the reason why I'm not starting."

I shrugged innocently. "You were the one to make the first move."

"You didn't pull back."

"You didn't exactly apologize to Seth."

"And you didn't defend me."

We both glared at each other. Once again, we were at a stalemate because of our stubborn attitudes.

I took a bite of my chicken salad. It's deliciousness was the only reason I had the energy to continue with this argument. I had already made up my mind that I was going to Brentwood's game tonight. Graham just wasn't one to respect anyone's decision that was in opposition to his.

He took a sip of his own water. "Look, as your best friend right now, I'm still struggling with keeping your relationship with a Brentwood student a secret, let alone you going to their game over Baylor's."

"And what about as the guy that has a crush on me?"

"Oh trust me, Alexa, every part of me wants to go and beat the shit out of Baron, but I know that wouldn't exactly win me any points."

"Correct."

"So with this whole going-to-Brentwood's-game-instead-of-Baylor's, the possessive part of me is just trying to stay out of this."

I squeezed his hand from under the table. "I appreciate it."

"What are you going to tell Seth? I know he's already worked up over the toilet paper incident," Graham grumbled.