Ch. 2 - The Untouchable God

Avery.

As disappointed I was to not be able to hear our mom's usual "make smart decisions" on our first day, I was glad to know that it meant she will be home early enough for dinner tonight. Since mom was a surgeon, earlier the morning meant earlier the night. It wasn't often that she would be home early enough for dinner, so at least I have that to look forward to.

"Ready?" Landon walked down the stairs, shuffling through his backpack looking for something.

"Ready!" Matty, our 8 year-old brother, shouted with a mouth full of fruit loops. The boy was such a morning person that I sometimes wished I had. Mornings are extra difficult for me, especially when the weather is chilly like today.

Landon always drove us to school, dropping Matty off first so we had to leave half an hour earlier.

"Matty, there's an extra juice box and fruit snacks in your lunch box. But don't eat them before lunch or you'll regret it again okay?"

Since I didn't have any biological sibling and wasn't close to any of my cousins, Landon and Matty were everything to me. Especially this mischievous little boy who could make me laugh no matter what mood I were in. Those brown locks and freckles comforted me more than he could ever understand.

"Thanks, Ave! I'm so glad mom isn't home so that you could pack my lunch" He gave me the biggest smile, missing tooth and all, as he got out of the car and waved one last time before we drove away, "I'll see you after school!"

King High School, my dreaded nightmare, was only ten minutes away. I wish I were exaggerating when I said I was terrified of this moment, the moment we walk in for the first time and students stared as if I were new species that scientists just dug up from Egypt. That's the thing about high school, the new kids were the most interesting experiment to probe and see what kind of people and where on the food pyramid they were going to be. It's the most exciting thing about the boring average days in those halls.

"Hi! I'm Kassidy! Head of the welcoming committee created 3 minutes ago, just for you." Oh no, incoming. The blonde with big boobs, model legs and high heels stopped is in our tracks. "I don't know where you came from but wherever it is, just lost it's biggest treasure."

I had completely zoned out everything Landon had been saying for the past 15 minutes since we got to the parking lot. All I could hear are my nerves shooting through my heads. And this blonde wasn't making it any easier with her trying to hit on Landon, as usual.

And as usual, he pulled me and strutted away, completely ignoring the baffled blonde with those cute heels and nice legs stranded. I would tell you what her face looked like if I saw it, but that would require making eye contact and that was not in my could-do list yet until Dr. Amary hopefully fixes me up. It was just not something I could do with strangers without asking for a side order of an anxiety attack and a lot of hyperventilating. But that didn't sound like a pretty thing to do for a first impression.

"Some things never change huh" I mocked him as we enter the high front doors of King High, for our senior year that Landon promised to be great. And standing there, all I wished for was a peaceful & calm one.

"Her boobs were way too big. I couldn't focus on anything else. And she talked too much." He shrugged before putting his arm around my shoulders and walked in, easing my anxiety as he always did.

"You're okay, Ave" He whispered in my ear as we walked through the sea of lockers and students whose eyes are dead set on us. I could tell by the way their shoes are turned toward us. And I was glad that I was terrified of eye contact or else I would be meeting a lot of eyes right now. It was also obvious by the way Landon tightened his grip on my arm. "Don't worry, I got you."

The Bad Boy's PrincessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara