Ch. 36 - A Reunion of the Devil's Spawns

In the light of me celebrating my LSAT score, here's an extra chapter for the week. Enjoy!

Much love,
H.

—————————

The game from last Friday really beat me up physically that I spent an entire weekend rotting in my room. Avery came over and we studied on Saturday but other than that, I was in my room rotting my poor physique away. Damn it, I really needed to get back into shape.

It was Monday, which meant Valentine's Day was this upcoming weekend. I already booked a reservation for mine and Avery's first valentines date night, at some place I knew she was going to adore.

My mom was many things, but she was the greatest romantic idea factory. I almost felt bad for my dad who had such high standards to live up to, but he was doing well given that they were going to Kenya for their Valentine's Day get away later this weekend. My mom has been talking about visiting Kenya for a visit to the Monrova Charity HQ for awhile now.

"Dude, have you heard there's a newbie transfer from Europe on the team?" Travis, one of the bench players nudged me in the locker room. "Heard he's some psychopathic rich kid with a lot of twisted problems and a dark past."

"Who?"

"Mason something." Travis shrugged as he put his jersey on. "Coach was pretty impressed by him, apparently comparable to you, V."

Now I definitely had to see this dude for myself.

As I walked out of the locker room half listening to Harry and Charles discussing our clubbing mishaps Thursday night, someone bumped shoulders with me as he walked past me.

"Watch where you're going, QB." That voice. I knew that voice. In hell...

Mason McCall.

"McCall?" I couldn't believe my eyes. Aside from Scottie, Mason McCall was one of the few people who knew of my dark stage back then. Because he was there for all of the fucked up adventures we had in Europe. Hell, he fueled most of them.

"Surprise to see me, V?" He chuckled. "I've missed you dearly, brother."

"Do not call me that."

"Oh, come on, V. I know you must have missed at least some of our nearly-forgotten adventures." He smirked. "But don't worry, this time, I didn't come for you. There's someone here who's even more dear to my heart than you are."

With that, he walked off towards the field.

"Okay, what the bloody hell?" Harry crunched his nose in disgust. "Is this school year like a reunion of the devil's spawns? First Scottie, now HIM?"

"Whatever he's here for, can't be a good thing." I shook my head. McCall was everything but righteous. There must be a fucked up reason he's here in the states again, especially at King. And somehow, I found the denial that it was because of me to be complete bullshit.

During practice, I noticed Avery and Cameron cane and were sitting on the bleachers. She was wearing my hoodie that I gave her when she was studying over at my house last week. Even though it was way too big for her, she looked drop dead gorgeous.

I was about to wave at her until McCall shouted her name and waved at her first.

Okay, what the actual fuck.

Did he already find out that Avery was my girlfriend?

Avery looked uncomfortable and avoided his greeting, instead looking straight at me and smiled weakly. Even Cameron's expression hardened. What the fuck did I miss?