Ch. 1 - Back to December

Jace.

"Sir, we might lose over 300 million if we go forward with this deal without looking at all the-"

"Move forward with it. Remember that you work for me, I don't like being told what to do. I'm fully aware of the risks and rewards, Kayla." With that, I ended the board meeting and my secretary, Cara, was running after me trying to keep up while listing out my tediously long list of things I needed to do today. It was barely 10 AM and I already closed four of our billion-dollar deals, it was a typical Thursday morning as CEO of IRIS.

At the age of 24, I already took over the position handed by my dad. As stressful as it was, it was something I was passionate about, not to mention, godly at doing. The only negative thing was that the board members were fucking annoying, always doubting my decisions because of my age and the belief that I was inexperienced even though I graduated from Stanford in three years with a 3.9 GPA, along with a massive network all over the world in almost every country.

I knew what I was doing.

"... Lodge Industries..."

"Repeat the last one, Cara."

"Meeting with Lodge Industries in New York tonight at 8 about the collaborative green efforts in South Africa, sir. Did you have any problem with the scheduling, I can-"

"No, there's no problem. Keep it as is. Thank you."

Now I was heading home to have lunch with my family since Ali just came back from New York for winter break. She was in her second year at NYU now, studying Communications. Her brattiness only got worse over the year and transformed into a whole new level of annoyingness. But not having her home sure was lonely for the twins since I moved out a few years ago but still visited every day for family dinner and stayed over every other weekend. The twins were turning eight soon and Riley definitely took Ali's spot of being the spoiled bratty princess of the Vanderbilt estate while poor Ryder was more shy and quiet.

As they grew older, I definitely became even more powerless when it came to disciplining them, especially Riley. Last month, she was called to the principal's office for pulling her classmate's hair who tried to kiss Ryder. As hilarious as it was to me and Ali, my mom was definitely not amused and took Riley's technology pass away for a whole month. She did not take that punishment very well either.

"Wesley, can you drop by Lady M on the way home?" I spent more time in my car than I did in my own home, for god's sake. But of course, my rare moment of peace and quiet was cut short when my phone went off.

Ali.

"Are you on your way home yet?" She asked. "Can you please stop by-"

"2 slices of Coconut Mille and 3 slices of Miroir Caramel from Lady M, with extra whipped cream and cherries." Ali always craved her favorites whenever she was back from New York. She always complained that the one in New York didn't taste the same as the one from home.

"You're the best, love you." With that, she hung up. As bratty as she was, Ali was my sister and I loved her more than I wanted her to know. And as much as I always denied it, I spoiled her way too much

"Welcome home, Young Master." The greetings flew around as I got out of the car. I have been so busy that I hadn't come home for nearly ten days. My mom being upset was a huge understatement because our deal was dinners and weekends. But I couldn't help my packed schedule of meetings after meetings and travel plans being jammed packed.

"Look who finally came home." My mom shook her head when I walked into the kitchen and planted many kisses on her cheeks. For 46, my mom didn't look a day over 25, no exaggeration.