Ch. 15 - The Heavy Crown

"Get your eyes off of her." I didn't even realize the growl escaped my chest, aimed viciously at Charles whose eyes were glued on Avery. I couldn't blame the guy, she was wearing an elegant gown that I had never imagined her in. God, how could someone look so goddamn good in blush. It was the most perfect dress for her, covering her chest that she didn't want people to see yet still revealed enough to leave guys dead on her tracks.

Charles was Exhibit A.

But he wasn't the only victim.

"Bro, I'm sorry I can't help it. I've never seen Avery West like this. She's fucking h-"

"Don't finish that sentence." I glared at him. I was possessive, so what. Friends get possessive...

I looked over to see the look on Cameron's face, god I was going to murder these fools. They were not allowed to look at her like that. Neither was anyone else here. But there I was, angry that almost every eyes were on her. I could tell she was terrified when I walked up to her. She was with Ali and Ellie, once again how the hell did they get to her before I did?

"Avery, you came..." I knew she said she was going to come, but seeing her here dressed like this got me all messed up in the wrong places.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late..." She was looking down at the ground but then she would look up at me once every few seconds. She was so freaking beautiful... Her hair was softly curled and hung right below her chest. Did she realize the effects she had on everyone here? Especially me?

"No, no, it's alright. Come, the guys wanted to say hi to you." She nodded softly before trailing after me, still keeping her eyes down. I wished she realized how fucking gorgeous she was and held her chin up. But I was going to fix that.

Ali and Elli were whispering and giggling behind us, but they were so loud that I could hear some of what they were saying which meant Avery did, too. I could tell that she could because I saw her cheeks blushing deep red. But I chose not to acknowledge it or else we'd have a very awkward conversation about why Ali and Ellie were saying that we looked good together.

"Avery West, you should dress like this more often." Harry snickered but I smacked his head.

"You look beautiful, West." I was still the most uncomfortable with Charles's eyes on Avery, it was a look I didn't want to see.

Great, I was psychotically jealous.

"Thank you," Avery cracked a small smile before diverting her eyes to the ground again.

"You're trying to get killed?" Cameron glared at Charles who realized what he was doing and looked away quickly. "Hi, Avery. It's really nice to see you."

"Hi, you guys look dashing." Her smile never failed to drop jaws, but seeing the expressions on the guys' faces, I knew they thought Avery was gorgeous too. I couldn't blame them. But then she turned toward me, and my heart really stopped beating. She was holding a black bag in her hands and handed it to me. It had red tissue paper, my favorite color combo. 

Did she know that? Of course not. She couldn't have. 

Did she?

Shut up, Jace. 

"Happy Birthday, Jace." She smiled as I took the bag from her. I didn't have to open it to know I loved whatever was inside this bag. "I know there's nothing you can't possibly get yourself, and probably received gifts I can't ever afford in this lifetime but... I hope you like it. It's not much-"

"I love it." I couldn't help but chuckled at how fast she was talking because she was nervous. Her eyes were darting all over the place, but they avoided mine. "Thank you, Avery. I love it."