s e v e n t e e n

"i'm pregnant."

the girls suddenly froze, eyes enlarged in shock. both girls opened the door simultaneously, allowing the older inside to hear about the sudden confession.

"you're pregnant?" seulgi quickly questioned, her mind not reasoning with it. the woman she was gazing at in shock was the last person she would think of to get pregnant at such a young age.

"yeah. i don't know what happened."

lisa finally opened her mouth, stuttering over her words. "i—irene, y—you—,"

the girl jumped in excitement as she finished her sentence. "i know, right? i'd never expect to see myself like this at a young age."

"who's the father?"

"there's no need to know about him. he didn't want to be there alongside me so, i'm alone." the pregnant girl explained, recalling the last discussion they had which didn't lead to such a happy one. he refused to care for a baby so, irene agreed to do this on her own.

"so now what?" seulgi patiently waited to hear what her overall choice was going to be for the baby. the teenager wouldn't look bad as a mother. seulgi positively believed that irene would make a great mother and raise her child to be just like her.

"um, i was thinking of raising the baby on my own. my parents agreed to help and pay for the things the baby needed."

"so, what's the problem?" lisa shrugged. irene was lucky. many girls get disowned by their own parents because of pregnancy, but irene's parents agreed to help her probably because all she brings home from school is four point o's. "you have your parents and family by your side."

"college is around the corner. i've already applied for my dream colleges, but what colleges except babies too?" the girl's breathing was suddenly increasing, causing her chest to rise and fall every second. "i'm so doomed!"

"woah, okay, calm down." lisa instructed. "breathe, irene, breathe." the girl finally calmed down, resetting to back to her natural self. "you're going to be fine. i'm pretty sure there are many options for you."

"yeah, like what?"

lisa gazed at seulgi, indicating that it was her turn to speak. "well, you can stay in seoul and your parents could take care of the baby while you're away in college."

"yeah, that's a great idea!" lisa nervously chuckled.

"but when can i visit my baby?"

"at times where you don't have any classes or at night before the college curfew to be back on campus." lisa answered, smiling as irene finally seemed to pick up a smile herself.

"and you know, some students do this thing where they don't start school until a year later just to get prepared for it."

"that's a great idea." irene smiled, hugging the two girls before walking to the door. both girls stood confused, nonetheless, following the pregnant girl to the door. "i'll see you guys at school. goodbye."

lisa and seulgi waved, closing the door. "if it's february right now, she should be four months before college starts."

"but i'm pretty sure she'll do that taking a year off thing." seulgi shrugged, plopping onto the delightful couch beside her, sighing as the familiar soft pillows sat on her body. the house was full of silence, you could practically hear the neighbors' sprinklers clearly. the silence was only transferred her mind into a complete memory as if she was there again of the young girl she called her best friend kissing her. as much as it would be right, the older couldn't bring herself to do it. she specifically only seen it as a way of ruining everything.

a cold pair of hands wrapped her shoulders, quickening her breath as she rose from her resting spot. "are you sure you're alright? is something going on?"

no, but you did kiss me last night and now, i don't know how to tell you because i'm afraid it'll ruin us. us—a word that i'm clearly afraid to use because it goes both ways, but it can't be for us. damn it, seulgi!

"no, everything's fine. i just can't believe irene's pregnant, you know?" seulgi bluffed an interested expression, creating a different topic for the two. lisa witnessed the unusual tone in seulgi's voice, which only brought her to more concern. "i always thought she would become president someday."

"you can still follow your dreams no matter what challenges life brings you." the student stated, placing the other topic aside.

"yeah."

the awkward atmosphere only persuaded the younger to find out the truth. she chuckled, realizing her great stupidity of what was happening. "you're lying to me and whatever it was that you're lying about is something that you don't want me to find out."

a whimper shakily escaped from seulgi's lips, biting her lips in anxiety. "what? i don't know what you're talking about."

lisa nodded her head in disbelief when the older tried to change the subject once again. "seulgi, just spit it out, alright?"

the older's mouth remained open as the words that she could only think of wouldn't leave her lips. the look in the younger's eyes didn't help because now, she just felt like a horrible best friend who didn't deserve her best friend's own trust.

"you know what," lisa chuckled in pity, staring off into space as tears slowly reached her eyelashes. "when you're ready to be a real best friend, come talk to me."

and off she went. seulgi still remained wordless, her mouth finally closing when instead, it should be open, speaking the truth as the sound of a door slamming rang through her ears.

"fine, you kissed me and i don't know how to feel about it!"

her mind practically yelled, creating a scenario in her mind that had two reactions: a good one and a bad one. the good one, lisa forgave her, leaving the kiss behind them. the bad one, lisa disowning her of a best friend and leaving her.

remaining in the house only kept reminding her of how bad of a best friend she was until she made a choice to just leave. she didn't deserve to be by lisa's side so she left, grabbing her bags and keys, gazing at the stairs that lead to the student's room. so easy, yet so difficult to move her body to the beginning of the steps.

"i'm sorry." the words left her lips with the sound of the front door closing.

"seulgi, i—,"

i'm sorry.