Interview - Destiny Harewent

I sat in the chair, nervous. Ruby told me to wait until I was called up, and I was fidgeting with my dark brown silk dress. The slight sequins on the collar itched, and I was dying to run around. I heard her announce my name, and I stood up to go for my interview. I walked on stage, waving happily to the crowd. 

They seemed to like it, because they were going ballistic over me. It must be the makeup, because I look like a Capitol citizen. The bright red lipstick combined with the smoke-colored eyeshadow makes me look, in a word, alien. Unlike my District, the Capitol enjoys making people look like freaks. 

"Hello, Destiny dear. How've you liked the Capitol so far? Is it treating you well?" Ruby asks, her bright red frizzy hair contrasting with her pure-sparkly silver skin. I nodded quickly. 

"Oh it's nice. So better than what I ha back home. And all the girls seem to like me, I've made a couple friends," I grin, waving to the crowd. The Capitol freaks wave back excitedly, wigs bobbing up and down. I laugh with Ruby. 

"Excellent! Who do you think stands out the most this year, and do you think they're a threat?" She asks me, leaning in. I gulp, saying in almost a whisper: "That Clement guy. He's killed already, hasn't he! He's gonna be scary in the arena."

"But yes, he's is definitely a threat for everyone." Ruby nods in agreement, hand on her chest. 

"Who do you think is the weakest tribute?" She asks, and I point to myself and shrug. It's obviously me. I'm in the youngest here. 

"Me."

"Any loved ones?" She asks, and I nod eagerly. 

"Of course. There's Travis, and my dad, and my mommy, well, not anymore. Mommy left," I explain, and the crowd sighs sadly in response. Ruby is butting her eyes with a tissue like she was crying. "How touching. And I know Travis volunteered for you?" She grins, tilting her head. I nod, a bit sad. 

"Yeah, to protect me. But he said he will do anything for me. But if it comes down to me or him dying, I'm going to sacrifice myself," I exclaim and the crowd is crying and cheering mixed in with just plain crazy. 

Ruby is really crying now, her gold mascara running down her glittery face. She is hurriedly dabbing it off but you can still tell its there. She tries to distract them from he tears by asking the next question, "what do you miss about back home?" 

"My dad, my mommy, sleeping in my own bed even though its way less comfy, a lot if things, Ruby. But I would pay a lot to get away from our District to live here in the Capitol. It's so beautiful," I grin, fiddling my thumbs. 

"What are your chances of winning, you think?" She asks the final questions as the time ticks down. 

"I don't think I will, but I will try the hardest to earn my District a victor, weather it be me or nah." I walk off stage and the lights fade for Travis to walk on.