Bookshelf

"The Warrior?" I pretend to not know what Joon means but I obviously knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Yes, The Warrior! I remember you in that marketplace square when you defeated that royal.. what's his name.. oh yes, Chim! I recognized your fighting style," Joon explains, gesturing with his hands.

     Chim... I wonder where that bullying rascal has been up to? It feels strange that Joon is pointing out someone from my past that used to be so significant but I barely have thought about in years.

      I don't even deny that it's me he's talking about. "B-but how do you remember? That was over seven years ago?" I'm bewildered.

    Joon grins. "You protected my cousin. I was too afraid to step in but you saved his life. Thank you so much." He bows and sits on one knee, with his head facing the ground.

    So the poor village boy that was wrongfully accused of stealing... was Joon's cousin? This world was so way too small.

     "It was no big deal..." I shyly replied.

     "It was. I'm in debt to you. And I've been hearing about you for a long time. It's my pleasure to finally speak to you."

      I was confused. "Wait, you heard about me? People talked about me?" I point to myself.

Joon chuckles. "Talked about you? More like they're still talking about you. Since that day you defeated that royal bully Chim, your name The Warrior became renowned around the kingdom. People wondered where you went and if you were still around, but I finally recognized you."

I was stunned with what he said. I had no idea people still cared and talked about that one act of bravery I did seven years ago.

"So how do people refer me? Like in a bad way or good way?" I asked, trying my best not to sound that desperate or curious. But I failed because I was very desperate and curious.

Joon smiles cheekily. "In a lejindary way. I've heard about you from so many people . You're a real hero amongst kids."

I grin, a bit proud of my past. "Thank you so much for telling me this. Well, have a good day," I bow and wave to him. I turn away but he stops me.

"Wait, Aman don't leave yet!" Joon stops me.

I turn back around, my eyes widen twice their size. "How do you know I'm Aman? What sort of genius are you?" First, he recognized me as The Warrior and then immediately my other identity, Aman? Was he gonna find out that my real name is Amira and my real gender, too?

Joon chuckles. "I'm flattered you think I'm smart, but your scarf has lowered and I can see your entire face. So yeah I recognized you again."

My face flushes. I have to be more careful about my scarf especially since it gets loose and lowered very easily.

I nervously laugh. "Well please don't tell anybody."

Joon nods. "Fine, I won't. But you have to come with me."

I roll my eyes but comply. If Joon leads me to an unknown area, I'll ditch immediately.

I follow him until we reach his father's shop.

    "Well what the hell are we doing here?" I ask.

      Joon asks, "Do you mind waiting here for a few hours while I make something in the back room?"

     Chinua was staying really late at the women's academy so we had a few extra hours to spare before I needed to head back. I cross my arms. "Fine. But give me something to do so I won't be bored."