10. Uncomfortable Sermon

Joseph had held a usual sermon, nothing different to what he always does, and like always his flocked admired him. His flock cheered and nodded along, joining him in prayer and song. Marcus, however, wasn't as enthusiastic as the loyal flock, but he could see why the cultists admired their Father so much. Throughout the sermon, Marcus shifted uncomfortably, refrained from rolling his eyes at Joseph's preaching, bit his tongue when he disagreed or found something ridiculous. All in all, he would've considered himself to have been a respectful guest. He knew that he was only doing this for Faith's sake, and he kept telling himself that so that he could get through the whole thing.

After the sermon, Joseph's flock slowly began to exit the church, letting Joseph speak to his brothers and sister. Once all of the cultists left the church and the doors shut behind them, Joseph and his brothers walked towards Faith and Marcus. As the three brothers approached, Faith took Marcus' hand and pulled him up from the pew with her, so that they were standing in front of the men. 

"I'm glad that you could join us today. Please tell me, what did you think of the sermon?" Joseph asked, a friendly smile on his face.

"...You are obviously very convincing" Marcus nodded, trying to find something to say that was true without insulting him.

"And did I convince you?" the Father asked, his smile never faltering.

"That might take some more time" the hunter forced a smile and shook his head.

"So we can hope to see you again?" Joseph asked and Marcus wondered how he could remain looking so welcoming and confident when the person he was preaching to didn't show any sign of interest.

"I wouldn't hold my breath but-" Marcus began but was comforted by the way that Faith squeezed his hand."-but if Faith wants me to accompany her again, then I will" he finished, flashing Joseph a smile that even a blind man could tell was fake.

Faith looked between Joseph and Marcus with concern but a soft smile still on her face. Ever since she met Marcus she had always seen him as some sort of alpha male, even after she saw his soft side. He wasn't going to give in to any of her brothers. She knew that John and Joseph would say that it was his pride, perhaps he was a proud man but Faith believed that he had some right to be. She didn't know why he was alone but he has seemed to have been alone for a long time, he works for his living even though it isn't much. So in someways Marcus might be a proud man but in many ways his is a humble man, he does not believe himself to be superior to anyone despite how much he disagrees with another man's beliefs, and Faith knew this. This was one of the reasons that Faith was interested in him, attracted to him, in the first place.

"I completely understand. Faith sees something within you and that is enough for me" Joseph smiled as if to assure the hunter. Jacob shifted his weight and crossed his arms over his chest, obviously holding back a remark. Perhaps that wasn't enough for the soldier.

"My brother sometimes wishes that people would be quick to see what he sees, I understand that it is a process. And Jacob believes that you would be a good solider, however I know that you can not fight for something that you don't believe" John spoke up for the first time. Marcus had heard stories about all of the siblings, according to these stories John wasn't the type to stay silent. Marcus had a pretty strong feeling that the youngest and the eldest brothers had be silently sizing him up since he stepped through those doors.

Marcus only nodded, mustering up enough will power to offer them a believable smile. "Perhaps we should get some fresh air" Faith suggested, wrapping her other hand around his hand that she was already holding, and looking up at him. Once again, Marcus only nodded.

"Well in that case, it was a pleasure to meet you Marcus" Joseph smiled and held out his hand for the hunter to shake.

"Like wise" Marcus nodded, shaking the Father's hand firmly.

Faith said goodbye to her brothers, before taking Marcus' hand and pulling him out of the church. They walked in silence as they walked around the church until they stood behind the building, where nobody could see them. "I'm sorry Faith, we can come back another time and I swear that I will be nicer or something" Marcus apologised, having a feeling that Faith would be upset with him as she stood in front of him with her back to him.

"What? Marcus, don't apologise. All I asked is that you accompany me and you did. I knew that this would be hard for you but you did it anyway. For me" Faith turned to face him, smiling sweetly like she usually does.

"Really?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. A part of him couldn't believe how understanding she was being consider that they are her family.

"Really" Faith smiled, placing her hands on Marcus' chest and pushing him against the wall of the church. His eyes widened in surprise as he hands landed on either side of the bottom of her rib cage. "It meant a lot to me that you came here today, it means that you want to be open minded and that you want to make me happy" she smiled, pressing a sweet kiss to his lips.

"Well, how can I say 'no' to that face?" Marcus asked, stroking his hands up her sides comfortingly. The woman just shrugged and smiled before standing on her toes and bringing her lips to his again, this time for a more passionate kiss.

The hunter couldn't deny that he was surprised. Faith had always seemed like the innocent younger sister despite everything she had done, that was just her role in the family. But here she was, pushing Marcus up against the back of her brother's church and kissing him like there was no tomorrow. The hunter also couldn't deny that he was enjoying the change in events.

Marcus snaked an arm around her waist and planted his hand firmly between her shoulder blades, he lent back against the wall and pulled Faith into his chest so that she was leaning on him. His other hand ran up her side and found it's place on the back of her head, his fingers tangling with her soft hair. Faith ran her hands over her chest and wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her body against his so that she was leaning on his chest and practically resting her weight on him.

"Thank you for coming today, Marcus. I can sense how uncomfortable you are here, so lets get out of here" Faith smiled, quickly pecking his lips before taking his hand in hers and dragging her towards his car.

As Faith dragged him towards the car with a smile on her face, Marcus swore that he could follow her anywhere even without the bliss. Even without the bliss, she was completely intoxicating.