3. We Will Meet Again

The line of vans came to a halt, Marcus couldn't see anything but he could hear the footsteps and muffled voices coming from outside of the van. A few minutes later, the van doors swung open and the people were assisted out. The soldiers led them down a dirt path and Marcus hesitated but followed them, looking for an escape route.

"Not this one" Faith's soft voice spoke as Marcus' group passed by her. She smiled and wrapped her hand around Marcus' wrist, gently guiding him over to the side. Faith allowed the crowds to pass before she spoke up. "You aren't a very good actor" she giggled as she let go of his wrist. "I know that the bliss hasn't effected you, you had me fooled for a moment but I noticed your hesitation. And that look in your eyes, it's not bliss related" she said and tilted her head. "Why did you pretend to be under its influence?" Faith asked.

"I assumed that if they thought I was effected by the bliss then they wouldn't kill me" Marcus admitted, now wondering if his life was in danger.

"What is your name?" She asked with a sweet smile. Everything about her was sweet.

"Marcus..." He answered, looking down at her and maintaining eye contact.

"No harm will come to you Marcus. You are different, you interest me" Faith told him, smiling brightly at him.

"I'm not going to be your test subject, to try and figure out why the bliss doesn't effect me" Marcus shook his head and stepped away from her, not wanting to be apart of that.

"Of course not. I didn't mean that your immunity interests me. I mean that you interest me" she explained herself, stepping towards him and placing her hands on his chest. She gently gripped the collar of his jacket.

"Me? Really?" he asked, his eyes widening. He slowly lifted one hand and placed it on one of hers.

"Yes, you" she giggled, taking his hand in hers.

"Why on earth would you be interested in me. You are the herald of Henbane River and I am just some guy, what is so interesting about me?" Marcus asked, furrowing his brow and allowing her to take his hand.

"It doesn't matter, but to prove it to you...lets go for a walk" Faith smiled, moving around him.

Marcus silently agreed and Faith intertwined their fingers together before they walked side by side down the dirt path, the opposite way to the rest of the cultists. Faith's hand was soft and fit in Marcus' perfectly, her grip was loose but secure. She walked so gracefully, like each step was a part of a dance.

"I like you Marcus, you don't judge people" she hummed, watching her own feet padding against the floor with a smile.

"You don't even know me" Marcus shook his head before looking down at her. He smiled a little bit as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

"That isn't true. Did you ever wonder why I appeared to you that day in the bliss flowers? I had seen you before, resisting the bliss, and I decided it was time to pay you a visit" the siren told him, swinging their hands back and forth.

"Still, we have only had two conversations" he reminded her, but that wasn't important to Faith.

"That's two more than I have had with anyone else, outside of the family of course" she sighed, her smile faltering for a moment. Right there, that was her cheerful and innocent facade falling for just a moment. And it just made Marcus more interested.

They stopped walking once they reached the end of the road, they stopped in front of an old white car. "I have a feeling that we will be seeing each other again" Faith smiled before taking his hand in both of hers.

"You know where to find me" Marcus spoke, his voice coming out quieter than he expected. He couldn't believe that he just agreed to seeing Faith again, and that it didn't bother him in the slightest. He actually found himself looking forward to seeing her again.

Faith brought his hand up to her lips and kissed his knuckles gently before dropping his hand. She smiled at him before turning and walking away, her hand folded in front of her. Marcus looked at the car and opened his hand, the keys where sitting in his palm. How did she do that? He smiled a little to himself before climbing into the car and driving away, trying to figure out how to get home from where ever he was.