December

"Mom?"Will lightly knocked on Joyce's old wooden door that needed some repairing but with the Byers house constantly being busy...it never got the work it needed. She was sat on her bay window a soft blanket wrapped around her body while sipping her coffee as Joyce did every morning.

"Morning honey." She focused her attention on Will instead of the pouring snow outside, her eyebrows furrowed at Will who was still dressed in his plaid pajama pants and blue shirt that matched with it.

"Why aren't you dressed for school you're gonna be late."She fussed setting her coffee down on the night stand then looking at the time on her watch. Will walked further into the bedroom beginning to explain why he hadn't started his morning.

"I-I think I should stay home today...".he fiddled with his fingers nervous of his mother's response. She gave him a questionable look and knew exactly what the issue was which made her lips curve into a smile followed by a soft laugh. "Alright, fess up what class do you have to do a presentation for?" Of course better than anybody Joyce knew Will like the back of her hand.

The only other person that knows what Will is thinking or what he's gonna say before the words even pass his lips is his best friend Mike Wheeler. "I can't do it Mom....they'll laugh, they always do". He sighed sitting at the edge of Joyce's unmade bed. "I was in this same position as a kid once too ya know" she joined Will on the edge of the bed wrapping a comfortable arm around her son.

"I remember it like it was yesterday, I was presenting the solar system to my whole class and I was so nervous that when I got up there, I said absolutely nothing....I tried to open my mouth to speak but nothing came out". Joyce laughed to herself at her own middle school embarrassment.

"And how is this helping with my fear of presentations again?". Will began to get angsty, not seeing how his mother's middle school story of many years ago would help him with his high school problems.

"My point is Will". She paused for a moment thinking of the right thing to say. "You have all your friends by your side and when you get up there, just look at them and pretend...no one else exists, ok hun?" She rubbed his arm. As soon as his mother said that,Will thought of his best friend Mike and how he would always give him a pep talk before class when it was presentation day.

This thought made a small smile appear upon Will's face and his cheeks heated of a rosy red color. Suddenly he wanted to go to school. "You know what".Will sat up almost immediately startling his mom in the slightest.

"I think I can do this". It wasn't Joyce's talk about having friends by your side that made Will so eager to get to school, but it was his best buddy Mike Wheeler that gave him the courage to do so.

~
First chapter whoop!