Chapter 6

The car halted in front of a grand house. Avni looked at it through the window. She was observing each and every feature of it.

Avni: Its beautiful, Neil.

Neil: Sadly, the people living inside this house aren't that beautiful.

Avni: Neil, how will they react to our marriage?

Neil: Don't think much. Just don't take their talks seriously. Let me handle them. OK.

Avni: OK patidev.
She says dramatically in order to make him smile.

Neil smiles and gets out of the car. He comes towards Avni's side and opens the door for her.
She comes out of the car and starts walking towards the house when Neil held her hand.
She turned back and gave him a confused look.

He took out her dupatta and made her wear it. She smiled.

Neil: Now you look like a perfect bride. Come, let's go.

Avni followed Neil. On reaching the doorstep, Neil pressed the bell button.
After a few minutes, a young boy opened the door.

Boy: Bhaiya, aap. Jaldi aayiye, maa aapko hi milna chahti thi. Aapke liye rishta aaya hai. Who is she?
Pointing towards Avni.
(Come. Mom wanted to meet you only. There is an alliance for you.)

Neil:  She's my wife.

What?????? Came a voice from behind.
It was Neil's chachi.

Chachi: You got married. You didn't even ask for our permission. We raised you, spent so much money on you. And now, when it was time to recover all your expenses through dowry, you got married to a random girl.
She said angrily.

Neil: I'm not greedy like you.

Chachi: Haan, kambakht, tujhe kyun kuch chahiye hoga. Tu to bachpan se humara khoon choosta aaya hai. Aage bhi yahi karne waala hai.
(Why would you be greedy? You've just sucked our blood since childhood. In future also you'll do the same.)

Neil remained silent. As he knew anymore words from his side would only worsen the situation. He didn't want Avni to hear those cuss words about him.

Boy: Mom, they're already married. We can't do anything.

Chachi: Exactly we can't do anything. Bring her inside.
She ordered.

Avni and Neil walked in. The house was beautiful from the insides as well. There was a small mandir in the main hall. Avni was looking at it. Neil saw Avni looking at the mandir and understood that she wanted to visit it.
He held her hand and took her to the mandir. Avni was surprised by Neil's sudden movement. She looked at him.

Avni: Aapko kaise pata?
(How did you know?)

Neil: Its not important that only you can know what the other person is thinking about.
He winked. She smiled and looked down.

She offered her prayers and asked for everyone's happiness and prosperity.
Neil also prayed that Avni's wish gets fulfilled.

They turned back and found chachi standing there. She had her arms crossed across her chest.

Chachi: I need to talk to both of you. Come to your room right now.
She said looking at Neil.

Neil nodded his head and silently followed her inside his room while Avni was following him.

They entered the room. It was a descent looking bedroom. It had yellow walls and minimal furniture.

Chachi went to the cupboard and brought a white bedsheet. She handed it to Avni.

Chachi: I know you both are married. But this is my house. I'll decide who'll stay here and who not.

Neil: What do you mean? Avni will stay with me only. If she can not stay here, I will also not live here.

Chachi: Aww... Mera bacha. Why do you always forget that you cannot leave this house until and unless you don't payback all the money that we've spent on you. And I'm sure you haven't collected that much money from your 3 years of job.
Now, moving onto this girl.(she said looking at Avni) . She can stay here, but on one condition.

Neil: What condition, chachi?
He asked.

Chachi: She has to pass a test.

Neil: What test?

Chachi: Test of purity. You know very well Neil that I don't like dirt in my house.
She said nonchalantly.

Neil was hell confused. Avni was silent but she somewhere understood the connection between the white bedsheet and her purity.

Chachi:  What, are you still confused? Fine. I'll explain. Your wife has to be pure in order to stay in this house. Also, which means that she has to be a virgin.

Neil still seemed to be a little confused. But, Avni was sure that what she was thinking earlier, is true.

Chachi: Tonight is your suhag-raat(first night). Tomorrow morning I want to see her blood on this bedsheet that she is holding. It'll be enough for me to believe that she is pure.
Saying this, she walked till the door and turned back.

Chachi: Oh! I forgot. Enjoy well!

She gave a sarcastic laugh, Avni shut her eyes . She leaves closing the door behind.

##########***

I know I'm late. So this long chapter is a treat for you guy. Enjoy!😏😉.

VOTE AND COMMENT...