Epilogue

Author's Note:

Readers,

We have now reached the end to book one. Do not worry, the sequel will be coming soon. I just wanted to take the time to thank each and every one of you for sticking with me for the last few months while I was writing this. You have no idea how much your votes and your comments mean to me. And yes, I do take the time to read every comment. Anyway, I really hope you enjoyed the story and continue to enjoy the Evan/Annabelle relationship in the following book. Please stick with me and be on the lookout for the sequel. Love you all.

~Jenna

-----------------

I shifted my eyes around the room, from the plain white walls to the plain white ceiling, as I kicked my dangling legs back and forth and waited. This was the second time I was at Dr. Richmond's office this week. After I passed out, Evan insisted I go see a doctor about it, although I assured him that it was only the heat and lack of food in my system the caused my sudden collapsing.

On my first visit, I had blood drawn. Evan sat by my side and squeezed my hand as the oversized needle was pushed into my arm. He knew how much I hated needles, and I had to admit, him being there made me feel better.

It was now three days after the fact. Evan wanted to come today but I decided against it. He had other things to do and I didn't want him to waste his time here for something so minuscule. Dr. Richmond would walk through the small wooden door any second with my results, then I could go home.

Evan and I had planned to spend the whole day together after my appointment. Go to lunch, get some ice cream. Maybe even visit our favorite park. I smiled just thinking about the day that we would have together.

I heard a gentle knock at the door followed by a small click as it was pushed open. Dr. Richmond walked in.

He was an older man who I had known for a while. Him and Uncle Jerry had been friends for an extremely long time, although Dr. Richmond was a few years ahead of my uncle.

I smiled at him as he shut the door behind him. He didn't look like his normal cheery self. Maybe he's been having a rough day.

"So, what's the diagnosis, doc?" I asked, trying to lighten his mood.

"Miss Monroe-"

"No wait!" I cut him off. "I bet I can guess!"

"Miss Monroe-" he tried again.

"Low blood sugar?" I said, sure of my self-diagnosis.

"Miss Monroe." This time he said it sternly. His face was sullen as he looked at me. I looked down at my feet for a second and then back up at him.

"Miss Monroe, you have leukemia."

My breath caught in my throat and I could feel a lump begin to form there. His words echoed in my head. Suddenly, I was dizzy and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I racked my brain for something to say, but I couldn't find a single word.

"It'll be fine. I promise." I told Evan as we lied side by side in his bed this morning. "You have nothing to worry about, believe me."

A single tear ran down my cheek.

I'm not okay.

I have cancer.