Choke

I walked over to the old, beat-up gazebo. I could see Evan standing there waiting for me. He was dressed in a pair of khaki shorts and a red and white t-shirt. He turned around to face me just as I approached him.

"Bout time." He said sarcastically, giving me a fake annoyed face before grinning. "Let's go." He grabbed my arm and spun me around on my heel, pulling me to the line of cars in front of the house.

We approached a black Porsche near the front of the line. He walked over to the passenger side and pulled the door open, motioning for me to get in. I slid into the car as he shut the door behind me.

He walked around the car to the driver's side, opening the door and getting in. Before he started the car, I could see him look over at me and smile out of the corner of my eye.

He turned the key in the ignition and the car roared to life. He looked at me once before pulling out and away from the line of cars.

-----------------

Evan pulled into a small parking lot about ten minutes after we had left the house. I looked around. I'd never been to this part of the downtown before.

The strips of small buildings that ran alongside the street looked rather rundown. A good portion of them were abandoned or boarded up.

Evan got out of the car and opened my door for me. I slowly got out, now observing the parking lot which was nearly empty.

"Are you planning on murdering me or something?" I said, looking at him. He looked back at me confusedly before he noticed my eyes shifting from closed up building to the next closed up building.

He laughed before grabbing my hand and pulling me down the sidewalk. I took in what I saw. Empty building, laundromat, thrift store, empty building, empty building, empty building, empty build-" My observations were interrupted when I noticed we had stopped in front of a small coffee shop.

CUP-A-JOE: the big red sign above the door read. The letters that were once a white were now faded and had a brownish tint. Evan looked at me and smiled when he saw the expression on my face.

"Relax." He said chuckling. He continued to hold my hand as he lead me into the coffee shop.

The inside of it looked a lot better than the outside had. It was designed to look like an old fashioned diner with its tile floors and walls. Red booths lined the walls. Posters from the 50's were scattered about. Over at the counter, a man was standing behind it cleaning a glass. He turned when we walked in, his eyes lighting up immediately.

"Evan!" He practically yelled joyfully. Evan smiled and held up his hand to wave to him before he looked back at me.

We found a booth to sit at. A waitress quickly made her way over to us. She had her long brown hair pulled up into a high ponytail. She smiled down at Evan, pulling out her pad of paper and a pen. Then her eyes slid over to me and her smile faded for a quick second before she shifted her gaze back at Evan and her smile reappeared.