Body feeling heavy, he turns and reaches, touching the back, then retracts his hand. Two small circles with a light trail where his fingers touched has only a thin layer of dust, now. Tugs in his heart pull every which way, unsure of what he's even trying to accomplish anymore. He burrows his face into his pillows, staining the case with tears.

Time trickles by, and he makes his way up and out of bed, knowing he'll be late if he leaves any later. Exiting the house with a heavy heart, he visits a flower shop first.

_______

When you enter your room, you instantly regret it, previously forgetting you'd only unpacked one box. The rest are stacked in a couple piles in a corner. Deciding you should pick up a little, you start unpacking more, placing various clothing and objects in your dresser or on your desk with a bit of planning. Books are ordered by author on your bookshelf. Pens, pencils, trinkets, and small souvenirs are placed neatly on your desk, and clothes are in your dresser and hung up orderly.

Confirming your work, you shower and get dressed. Still drying your hair, your mother announces her return.

"Hey. Law's gonna be here in around," you check the time, "10 minutes."

"Wonderful. I can't wait."

"Mom, please don't threaten the poor boy, he's trying his best."

She dismisses the comment with a wave of her hand. "I'll try, but if he steps out of line," she begins to warn, "Then I will not hesitate to---"

You assure her you understand and don't need a clear description. Distracted, you look in the bags. All sorts of various foods are packed into the plastic grocery bags. Instant rice-a-roni, pizza bites, sugar, powdered sugar, brown sugar, ice cream, chips, chocolate... the list goes on and on. "Mom, this is really unhealthy," you laugh. "We'll be the ones giving a bad impression."

"Teenagers aren't much healthier anyway," she retorts. "Besides, I didn't know what to get," she defends lamely. You cock an eyebrow at her. "Don't look at me like that. Anyway, I got ingredients for cookies and cake! And pizza, and tacos, and ramen," she count off, unloading the foodstuffs.

"Wow, I see you like to the theme of randomness." You roll your eyes and help, chuckling a little at some of the stuff. "Did we really need a gallon of maple syrup? Or like 30 packs of mackerel? And a 124 pack of instant ramen noodles! Jesus, mom, what was going through your head?"

"It was on sale for only $20! Savings was what was in my head!"

"Mother, I love you, but stop this madness," you say, pulling out more items and putting them in the cupboards and fridge.

Knocks on the door inform you of your friend's arrival. "Coming!" you shout, skipping to the entrance. "Heya!" you greet cheerfully.

He sighs softly. "Hello." You open the door wider and step aside so he can enter, then shut it behind him.

Law follows you to the kitchen where your mother finishes up the last of the groceries. "Law, this is my mom. Ma, this is Law," you introduce carefully.

"How absolutely wonderful to finally meet you, Law. I'm (Y/N)'s mother. A pleasure." She extends her arm for a handshake with a smile.

Reluctantly, he returns the gesture, a forced smile on his lips. "The pleasure is all mine. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. (L/N)."

"No, that won't do. Your grip is much too soft for any boy's, and your posture is much too slouchy," she criticizes. "Not to mention your painfully monotonous voice that shows little interest and an awful forced smile. What a bad influence. Again, boy."