XXVI. These Things Happen

Natural
A beating heart of stone
You gotta be so cold
To make it in this world
Yeah, you're a natural
Living your life cutthroat
You gotta be so cold
Yeah, you're a natural

***Natural- Imagine Dragons***

I completely forgot that a reader, @isaymoodtoomuch messaged me a list of people that she thought best fit the characters. I'll pull up a pic for each character at the end of the chapter. Thanks so much again!

"Oh. It seems like the connection with your brother has been cut off," Kalix hummed as he looked out the tower window, apathetic.

"What does that mean?" Anastasia questioned from the bed, covered in silk black sheets.

"Ah, well it means that your brother is dead. Well," he paused, cocking his head to the side, "Completely dead. You and I both know that he's been dead for quite time." he smirked, while Anastasia scrambled off the bed, clutching the sheets to her naked chest.

"W-what do you mean he's dead?"

"I mean dead. Deceased. Lifeless. Cadaverous. Out of my damn misery. Do you need any more synonyms? I've got plenty."

"You told me that the potion would keep him alive! Did you lie to me?"

"Uh, no. I told you that you needed to give him the potion every twenty four hours or else the potion will loose its effect. If I do recall, you came here -without your brother- and then spent the night under me and in my bed. "

Anastasia's face flushed a bright red, not from embarrassment but from anger.

"You have never told me this Kalix!"

"No?"

"No and you know it!"

"Hmm. Must have slipped my mind. I guess that it wasn't that important."

"My brother is dead because of you. If I recall you were the one that killed him. You promised me that you would cure him. All these years, everything you've promised me has been a lie," she sobbed.

Kalix rolled his eyes. "Oh, do stop with the tears. You're positively atrocious when you cry."

There was a silence that filled the room. Kalix stared at her from the corner of his eye and smirked. She was still as submissive as when he first met her. He could practically see the strings connected from his hands to his beautiful little puppet. He began to hum a song that he hadn't heard for a few hundred years. Where he'd heard it, he did not know. But he knew that it was one of his favorites.

Anastasia on the other hand, could not stop shaking. The rage was like nothing she'd ever felt before. For years, she had done everything that he'd asked of her and she asked for so little in return. Was it too much to ask for family that still cared for her?

Granted, her brother was dead and had been for years. In fact he died that day that she and Kalix had invaded her homeland and there was the elven war. Kalix had killed him, but he apologized, saying that he didn't know that he was her brother. She believed him and he tried to make it up to her by giving her a potion that animated her brother. He was unresponsive and was her own personal slave but she only wanted her brother. The brother that had tried to protect her.

He was so strong and fierce. He was her favorite sibling. Elizaveta was kind but she was always busy with castle affairs. Yannie was quiet and reclusive. He only talked to Elizaveta and he was so smart that when he spoke to her it sounded like her was talking down at her. He was her least favorite but she still loved him. But he was also dead. And now Artyom was officially dead and she was all alone. Her sister hated her and she also had a mate and adoptive son.