VIII. Not Your Typical Fairytale Creatures

Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

♤♧Winston Churchill♧♤

Lillyanna stepped out of the portal followed by Datrax and Nico. The other two had stumbled out, not quite used to portal transportation. She watched as Jameson threw up whatever he had left in his stomach. She pushed remorse away and strolled over to the edge of the meadow.

It was still dark out, about three and a half more hours before sunrise. She could wait until then but rage was still pounding fresh in her veins. She looked around.

The Meadow was beautiful at night, with fireflies floating above the pond. The grass was long and green and swayed in the wind. Yes, it was beautiful but looks can be deceiving.

In all reality it was a brutal and savage place, left alone to chose to prosper or to die.

"Where are we?" Jameson rasped out.

"This is Black Horned Meadow," Datrax told him when she didn't respond.

"It's beautiful," he said and she simply hummed in response.

"I don't really see what the big deal is. Where are the unicorns?"

"They're around. I suppose you don't feel it in the air yet do you?" She asked him.

"Feel what?" He asked and she shook her head.

For a while she stood with her eyes closed, letting the breeze shift through her hair as she contemplated actually doing this.

Finally she spoke, "You are here because I am giving you a task. If you complete the task, all past crimes will be erased and I'll even give you a place on the Council. If not then you will remain here for the rest of your days until you do. Do you understand?"

Jameson nodded.

"Your task is to snap the horns of all two hundred unicorns that reside here," she said and she heard four gasps echo throughout the night air.

"Lillyanna surely-"

"Lady Lillyanna, you can't be seri-"

"There's no way that he'll be able-"

"Enough!" She said as she waited for his response.

"Isn't taking the horns of unicorns illegal?!"

She nodded. "It is."

"So why would you expect me to want to do that to these poor creatures."

"The poor creatures are intellectual beasts that need to be put down. This is what needs to be done. With these unicorns it's a different matter as to whether or not it is illegal."

"I won't."

She smiled. "As much as I admire and appreciate your heroism, you don't have much of a choice Mr. Aldregresh. You do this, go to the gallows or spend the rest of your eternal life behind bars in the highest, darkest tower."

"Why are you doing this?" He yelled out.

"Why did you do what you did that forces me to do this?" She coolly countered. She wasn't going to let this pompous hedge born brat think that he could do whatever he wanted and get away with it.

"Fine. I'll do it."

"Good. Let's go." They walked for bit until they were on the very edge of the meadow and she looked at Jameson. A shiver ran down his spine and she knew that he was feeling it.