Chapter 7: Late Night Jitters

Jamie woke up around 3 in the morning. She didn't feel like she could sleep. The memories of her aunt plagued her mind. So she sat up and hugged her knees. She looked down at Raph to see he was sleeping peacefully. She smiled at him as she lightly stroked his cheek, making him smile a little in his sleep. She then looked at Miwa and Chompy sleeping in their beds. They also seemed peaceful.

"I'm the only one who can't get sleep," Jamie said to herself.

That's when she heard a light squeal. She turned her head to see Chompy smiling at her. She giggled as she got up and approached him.

"I stand corrected," she commented, holding him, then asked, "You wanna hear a song?"

He seemed to nod his head. She giggled then remembered a song her parents used to sing to her as she sat back on the bed. So she took a deep breath and softly sang.

Between the Raindrops

"Look around
There's no one but you and me
Right here and now
The way it was meant to be
There's a smile on my face
Knowing that together everything that's in our way
We're better than alright

Walking between the raindrops
Riding the aftershock beside you
Off into the sunset
Living like there's nothing left to lose
Chasing after gold mines
Crossing the fine lines we knew
Hold on and take a breath
I'll be here every step
Walking between the raindrops with you

Take me now
The world's such a crazy place
When the walls come down
You'll know I'm here to stay
There's nothing I would change
Knowing that together everything that's in our way
We're better than alright

Walking between the raindrops
Riding the aftershock beside you
Off into the sunset
Living like there's nothing left to lose
Chasing after gold mines
Crossing the fine lines we knew
Hold on and take a breath
I'll be here every step
Walking between the raindrops with you

There's a smile on my face
Knowing that together everything that's in our way
We're better than alright

Walking between the raindrops
Riding the aftershock beside you
Off into the sunset
Living like there's nothing left to lose
Chasing after gold mines
Crossing the fine lines we knew
Hold on and take a breath
I'll be here every step
Walking between the raindrops with you
Between the raindrops with you
Between the raindrops with you"

When she was done, she sighed and sat criss cross applesauce. She placed her right fingertips on the sides of her forehead in hope to focus on something other than her life in her dimension. She looked in her left hand to see Chompy, who seemed to be asleep.

"At least you're getting sleep," she whispered.

"You have a nice voice," she heard Raph say.

She silently gasped then looked at him. He was fully awake with his right hand under his head, his left hand on his plastron, and a smirk on his face.

"Sorry if I woke you," she apologized as she got up and gently put Chompy back on his bed.

"I was already awake before you started singing," he said then added, "Having trouble sleeping?"

"A little. I had a nightmare, but I didn't want to bother you," Jamie answered as she started walking back to the bed then sat down.

Raph sat up at that and told her, "It's never a bother to help anyone. What was it about?"

Jamie didn't know if she wanted to say who was specifically in the dream. She thought that if she did, he might convince her to stay, which she would love. But she didn't want to be a bother for them, plus Shredder could continue to search for her to get answers from her. So, once again, she tried to keep it vague.

"It was just about the people who are mean to me in my dimension telling me what useless trash I am. I've had them for years," Jamie said, looking away from him.

Raph didn't know how to react. He felt something for Jamie when he first saw her. He felt horrible that she was having these nightmares and that she could be believing the horrible things those people said about her. He gently placed his hand under her chin and got her to look at him. He moved some stray strands of hair behind her ear then placed his hand on her cheek.

"Jamie, I know exactly how you feel. If you've seen us in action, then you know this. I've let what people say about me get to me sometimes. But I cover it up by saying that I'm the handsome turtle. I want you to know that you are beautiful, inside and out. Those people are the real trash because they don't see what a beautiful treasure you actually are," Raph told her.

She smiled as a tear went down her cheek and she nuzzled into his hand. He wiped the tear away with his thumb. She then hugged him and he returned it.

"Thank you," she said.

"No problem," he responded.

"And by the way, you've always been handsome to me," she whispered.

Raph smiled at her words then they went back to sleep in each other's arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N I am loving this!