Chapter Twenty-Two

Tightening the belt on her skin-tight jeans, Zora inspected her outfit in the mirror. A black, floral crop top covered her top and white high tops covered her feet. Her blue hair was straightened and teased, and she leaned into her reflection to begin her makeup. As she covered her face in concealer, she granted entrance to the person knocking on her door.

"Hey, Zora," Spencer greeted.

"Hey. What's up?"

"Not much," he replied as he sat on the edge of her bed. As he watched her blend, he began to search through her various products. "Would you mind if I did your makeup for you?"

Quirking an eyebrow, Zora asked, "Really?"

"Yeah. I think I can do a good job."

Unable to find any harm in it, she shrugged and sat down on her desk chair. She watched as he sorted through her makeup and walked up to her. He began with her eyes.

"Have you ever had anyone do your makeup before?"

"No. I learned how from makeup tutorial videos on YouTube."

"So did I," Spencer laughed.

"How come?"

"It's kind of embarrassing," he mumbled, and Zora smirked at him. "But I've always been into makeup. I did makeup for the school musical 'Cats' two years ago, and I do Denise's all the time for dances and parties. You can make really cool artwork with makeup."

"Are you wanting to be a professional makeup artist?"

"Yeah," he whispered. "Like for Broadway shows."

"Have you thought about telling your aunt?"

Spencer was silent. She didn't feel any brushes or pencils on her face, so she opened her eyes. Her heart began to break as she saw him frowning over her products.

"I don't know how. She wants me to run the bookstore once I graduate from college."

"But doesn't Denise want to run it?"

"Yeah, but-"

"And isn't she technically older than you?"

"By ten minutes," he grumbled.

"Then by that logica, doesn't that make her the inheritor?"

Looking down at Zora with a smirk, he kissed the top of her head. "You are the best," he said. "Now close your eyes."

After a few silent minutes, Terrance knocked on the door and entered. "Hey, are you guys- whoa!" he exclaimed, jaw dropping to the floor. Zora opened her eyes and stared at him quizzically. "You look amazing."

Jumping up from her chair to her mirror, she gasped as she stared at her reflection. Her eyelids were covered in various shades of blue to match her hair, her eyeliner was perfectly winged, and her eyelashes were full. Her lips were outlined and shaded in a dark ruby red, and her blush was blended perfectly into her cheeks. Tears began to prick at her eyes. No one had ever put so much care and effort into her appearance to make her look so beautiful, not even herself.

"Don't cry," Spencer teased. "Your makeup isn't waterproof."

Zora gave him a look before smiling as she ran up to him. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she repeated 'thank you' over and over again. Spencer, laughing, hugged her back.

Terrance remained in the doorway with his arms crossed and smirked. "You two make a cute couple."

Zora was pulled closer into Spencer's arms, and she snuggled into his chest. "We're waiting."

"Good call," Terrance said as he exited the room and descended the stairs. "Now, hurry up before we're late. I want to get a good parking spot."

"If you're driving, then why the hell did I bring my car over?" Spencer called out as he followed him.

Zora stood in the center of her room and took a deep breath. Her first party with her first real friends. It was a night she wanted to remember, to look back on and think about the good times from her high school days. She slung her purse over her shoulder and nodded, prepared to face the party head on.

Walking into Tyler's house, Zora glanced around nervously. She assumed only a few people would be there like he said, but the house was filled, wall to wall, with students and people she didn't know. Terrance walked off with Spencer, leaving her alone in the doorway. As she shuffled through various people, she entered the kitchen and found Tyler by the fridge.

"Hey!" he exclaimed as he yanked her in for a quick side hug. "I'm glad you could make it with that sexy brother of yours."

"Please don't call my brother sexy," she deadpanned, earning a laugh from him. "Seriously!"

"Oh, relax.". Handing her a red solo cup, he smiled. "Have a drink."

Pushing the cup away from her, she said, "I would prefer to remain sober tonight."

"It's soda," he assured. "I'm not looking for cops to show up because of drunk teenagers. I already have problems to deal with for just existing."

"I feel you," Zora muttered. The two cheered their cups and drank. "So, no alcohol or drugs are here, right?"

"No. I told everyone that whoever brought drugs or alcohol would instantly get kicked out." Tyler wrapped his arm back around Zora's waist and smiled. "We're all here for a good time, and you can have a good time without illegal substances."

"That's a good way to look at it." Looking at the food laid out on the table, she oohed at the rack of cupcakes on the table. "I bet I could fit this whole thing in my mouth," she said in awe as she took off the paper.

"I wouldn't if- Zora," he laughed as he watched her shove the cupcake in her mouth. She began to laugh at his face, causing her to cough. "Don't choke, baby."

Spencer walked into the kitchen, searching for Zora. He felt bad for losing her. He thought she was following him and Terrance, but when he glanced back and noticed she wasn't there, he began to worry. He knew how she had been in crowds since her mugging.

When he spotted her by the sink, chugging whatever was in her cup, he ran over to her. "Careful. You don't want to drink alcohol that quickly. It can make you sick."

"It's soda," she exhaled with a small cough. "I almost choked to death on a cupcake," she cackled, and Tyler laughed with her.

"I should go greet some more guests. Catch you later," he winked before walking out of the kitchen.

Spencer grabbed a small water bottle and handed it to Zora. "Probably not the wisest idea to drink soda after almost choking," he laughed nervously. As Zora drank the water, he wrapped his arm around her waist and caressed her side. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. Why?" she asked sweetly.

"Other than the fact you almost choked, I left you alone. I want to make sure you were alright."

With a smile, she kissed his cheek. "I'm good." Picking up a brownie from the table, she took Spencer's hand and led him into the living room where multiple people were either sitting around and talking with their friends or dancing. As Spencer began to lead her over to their friends, Zora spotted Kaden and Tom.

Pulling away from Spencer, she quickly ran up to the two and hugged them. "I'm so glad to see you guys here," she said and gasped. "Kaden, I love the look." Wearing a male crop top with a cardigan and skin-tight skinny jeans and heeled boots, he smirked as he scanned her from head to toe.

"I love yours, too. We should go shopping someday. You have the best fashion sense I have ever seen."

The trio conversed and soon began to dance together. Zora was having the time of her life with her friends, but the moment she blinked, something internally hit her. The thought of being around people made her paranoid, and she was sure someone was watching her. As she slowly looked around her with wide eyes, Kaden and Tom led her to the corner. "Hey, are you okay?"

Zora shook her head, knowing nothing was okay. She only felt that way once in her life, and it was a feeling she never wanted to experience again.

She was high.