Chapter Thirty-Eight

A new woman. A better woman. That was how Zora felt. As she stood behind the curtain with Tyler clenching onto her hand, she felt an empowerment she had never felt before. It was their time. What months of practice had led up to, they were ready for. This night would determine their futures, where they would go to school, and the opportunities they'd have in the world of dance. All that she really wanted was for Tyler to receive a scholarship to Julliard. After years of being scouted after, this was his night to shine. A representative for the school sat in the audience, waiting for the show to begin.

Being in the middle sucked. Being first may have been the death slot, but it meant that everyone had to live up to their performance. Then last place was the best because it meant they were fresh in the judges' minds. Being in the middle was the forgotten zone, the spot where everyone would soon forget they even performed. But they had to make their performance memorable. They did not work to the bone to only have all their hopes and dreams thrown back into their faces.

"Are you nervous?" Tyler asked.

As stupid as the obvious question was, Zora could only shake her head. As nervous as she was, a calm, peaceful serenity coated her from head to toe. This was not her life on the line, but rather her partners. His future rested on her shoulder, so she had to put in her best effort for him. Otherwise she would have failed him.

The black unitard clung to her skin, showing off her white, fishnet covered legs and red heels. A white collar with a red bow tie popped out of her red tail coat, and a top hat was pinned onto her head. Dancing to 'Some Folks' by Alice Cooper, the two felt as though their attire matched the song perfectly.

All too soon, the stagehand announced that they were to go up. Clenching onto her hand tighter than ever, the two walked out onto the dark stage. Standing behind her with one hand in the air and the other in front of her, Zora held her wrists together at a cross. Once the spotlights flashed onto them, the music began, and they snapped their fingers in time.

In a matter of seconds, the nerves were gone. There was no one in the audience anymore. It was just the two of them, back in the dance studio at school, watching each other through the mirror. They folded their bodies, swayed to the beat, and kept in time. The audience was soon clapping along to the rhythm, something they hadn't done with any of the other performers.

Tyler pulled Zora into his arms, swaying her back at forth as he spun her around on one foot, her body moving so fast it was a whirlwind. And as the rock beat hit, they ran upstage to begin flipping, doing cartwheels and flips through the air. They landed in a split, earning an uproar of cheers from the crowd. By the last beats on the song, Tyler had twirled her out and into his arms, into a dip where she held her hat in front of their two faces, as though they were hiding a kiss. Remaining in their position, they breathed heavily as they smiled at one another, the crowd going ballistic with cheers and a standing ovation. They quickly stood upright, taking their hats off as they bowed to the crowd and shuffled off stage.

"I can't believe we just did that," he exhaled in disbelief.

"Neither can I," she squealed. "They loved us. First place is in the bag."

Tyler and Zora exited to the front hall to meet up with their families. Spencer quickly ran up to Zora and lifted her in the air. "You did fantastic," he exclaimed as he spun her around. "I am so proud of you."

Blushing over the fact he could lift her up, she buried her face in his neck. "Thank you, baby." With his chin, he nudged her head out to kiss her lips sweetly.

Tyler ran his hand through his sweaty hair as Terrance stepped closer to him, his arms crossed and his lips smirking. "I have to say, I liked what I saw up there."

Tyler blushed.

"When do you find out whether you've won?"

A crowd formed by the bulletin board in the middle of the entrance. He chose to wait until the crowd dialed down, and he shrugged. "In a few minutes."

Peering over at Zora, she smiled with a nod and pointed over at Tyler. The man nodded and thanked her before approaching him. "Hello, Mr. Montague, my name is William Bennet. I came here to see your performance."

"You're the representative from Julliard, right?" he trembled, ad Terrance patted his back before walking over to Spencer and Zora.

"What do you think is happening?" Spencer asked.

"I'm not sure." The three smiled. "But I think it's good."

Once the representative left, Zora and Spencer shuffled over. "What happened?"

"I'm going to Julliard!" Tyler exclaimed, pumping his fists in the air.

The four squealed loudly as they congratulated him. Terrance threw his arms around Tyler's neck, hugging him tight. Caught in the moment, he kissed Tyler quickly before pulling away. The two both stared at one another, blushing as Tyler leaned in to peck his lips once more before checking their scores. Second place never felt so good.