23. Happy

Kai's POV

School has started up again and I was happy. Summer was over and so was the drama. Eliza was doing better. I saw her around laughing with Asia and their other friends. It seemed like things were back to normal. Well, kinda. Asia started eating lunch with Kyle so Eliza and her other friends have been eating with us as well. She has been nice to me but she keeps her distance.

I wouldn't blame her. The aftermath of Ryland was still present but I'm so glad that they are done. She's so much better without him. As I look at her, I notice that she's smiling. She had a full face of makeup on and a cute dress. I found it weird that she started wearing makeup and tights but usually people try to change up their style to get in control of their lives. I thought she looked nice.

"Dude. Can you hear me?" Kyle asked.

"Sorry. What do you want?" I responded. Kyle and I were walking down the school hallway on our way to our cars.

"Do you want to go shoot some hoops? We need to get in shape. Conditioning is coming up," Kai stated. I looked at him but I realized that I had plans all day.

"Can't. I have to meet up with Eliza so she can help me with my homework. Then imma go hang out with Ellen after she gets out of school." Kyle looked at me and smirked.

"Hanging out with both of your ex's. I see ya," he said. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"It ain't nothing like that."

"Be honest do you need help with your homework?"

"No. But she won't hang out with me otherwise." He laughed at my response.

"Okay. What about Ellen? I can still hit her up?"

"Go for it. But I thought you were trying to get with Asia now?" He smacked his lips at this.

"Yeah, but she be trippin sometimes. She always with Eliza."

"Maybe she has a reason, Kyle." He looked at with curiosity.

"Whatcha mean?"

"I don't know man,"

"Look. I ain't one to be all mushy but I noticed that you have been in the dumps lately. You can tell me. We best friends."

"It's not just about me anymore."

"Stop talking in code and just be real."

"Okay. Fine. Ya know Eliza's ex-boyfriend?" I asked.

"Yeah. I seen him on her Instagram." he responded.

"He used to beat her up," I confessed. I felt a little weight lift off of me. Sharing this with someone besides Asia was relieving.

"Word?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Ya know, now is not the time for that shit." Kyle held his hands up.

"I'm sorry. I just don't know how to process real...emotions."

"I know but just be less...you right now." He nodded and looked at the ground.

"Asia knew about it for a long time."

"She did?"

"Yeah," I said wondering if I should tell him about how Ryland slapped her. I decided against it. I already told him too much.

"Did you mess him up?"

"Naw."

"And why the fuck not?"

"It would have been more messy. I needed to get her out of there with no bumps." He nodded his head. We stayed silent for a moment.

"Do you think that she actually left him?" Kyle asked. 

"Yeah. I do."

"Okay well imma go. If you need anything tell me." I nodded at him goodbye and he left. I made my way over to the school library to meet Eliza. As I got closer to the library I got more nervous. I wanted her to trust me again so maybe we could be together. So we can put all of this tension behind us.

I looked around the table and saw her alone ready the Econ textbook. She had her wiry hair in a messy bun. I smiled at how pretty she was. 

"Hello. May I sit here?" She looked up at me with an annoyed expression on her face.

"You're late Kai Julius Blake," she said.

"You using my full government name now? Should I use yours?" I joked. She cringed at her name.

"No. Let's forget that I mentioned it."

"I thought so. Now let's get to work."

"Since you were late, we only have 30 minutes. I have to get home."

"Okay. Fair enough. So consumer surplus." We took out our homework and we began studying. Well, she was. I was just staring at her. I loved when she looked serious. Well, I loved her in general. 

As she moved her head to be exposed more to the light, I saw a tint of purple under her makeup. It was more than she would wear usually. 

"Do you think that she actually left him?"

Now that I thought about it she still wore long sleeves. Even when she wore dresses. If she didn't wear long sleeves she wore jackets. She never wore this much makeup before this year which conveniently started after she met...him. I was stupid. She wouldn't just leave him so easily.

"So, lets review..." Eliza started.

"You didn't break up with him," I stated. She snapped her head towards me. Her eyes grew bigger but she quickly masked her surprise.

"I broke up with him. Stop bringing him up," she hissed.

"Eliza..."

"It looks like our time is up anyway." I saw her start to gather her things. I grabbed her arm and she looked at me. As soon as I noticed that she had her guard down I lifted up her sleeve. On her arms, I saw cuts, bruises, and burns. I wanted to kill him right there. 

"Why are you staying with him?" I asked in a whisper. I knew if I raised my voice I would end up screaming.

"Kai you don't understand."

"Then help me. E, help me." She gathered the rest of her things and ran out of the library. I followed her. She was fast, but me being tall put me in an advantage.

"Eliza!"

"Let's not do this here of all places."

"Where? You're grave!" I yelled. Flinching she backed away from me. I calmed down realizing that she must think I would hurt her.

"Just drop it."

"Eliza you broke the agreement. I'm going to call the police."

"Kai if you do that I will never talk to you again. You understand that or do you want me to help you," she sneered. I screamed out of frustration combing my hair with my fingers. 

"Eliza. Baby girl, please listen I care." Scoffing she went towards her car. I was hurt that she did not believe me.

"Kai. Leave me alone please."

"Since you won't take mine or Asia's help than you leave me no choice." She got in her car and scurried off.

I took out my phone and texted Ellen that we couldn't hang out today. Then I made a text to someone else.

Me: We need to talk about E

Asia: What happened?

Me: She's still with him

~~~~~~~~

If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship please visit this website to get help. With love.

https://www.loveisrespect.org/