Words You Can't Take Back

Becca's POV

I answered an email on my phone as Elena whipped in and out of downtown traffic making me set my teeth on edge. I'd spent the last few days, since Chase was out of town hunting, meeting and checking out potential band members. I unfortunately had to give the ones I had used in the studio back to my brother. Had lost it in tears when the boys had showed up the first day telling me they had my back for this. Giving up their off time to come in and help me, I could never repay them. God, I loved them. Had only almost killed Ben a time or two. That had been nothing new. Jesse had stopped me mid swing threatening to call Brantley if I didn't settle my grouchy tail down. BJ had wisely passed me a bottle of water along with a pack of Oreos. They knew that chocolate was a quick way to distract a grouchy Gilbert sibling.

"You probably should have went and changed first," Elena said with a sigh pushing a strand of long brown hair out of her face eyeing my distressed jeans with a hunter green Henley with a few buttons opened. My hair was braided to the side to keep it out of my face. I closed my eyes counting to ten. I really had to work with her even if she drove me nuts. I did not want to get the reputation that I was an artist that was difficult to work with by firing my publicist right out the gate.

"I've been in the studio all afternoon listening to final mixes," I said pasting a fake smile on my face. "There wasn't time for me to since you sprung this on me last minute. Besides, it's a potential drummer, not a damn date. You know I have a boyfriend right. Tall, muscular, hot as hell, can make me go weak in the knees with just his voice. I think Caroline Bryan's favorite term for him is yummy. Something you need to start remembering."

"Of course, Becca," Elena said sweetly as she pulled into the front of the Tin Roof. She pointed to the door. "He's meeting you at the center table. Supposed to have a brown leather jacket and blue hat on. I'll be around if you need me to come and get you."

"Nah," I said glancing at my watch. "Chase is on his way back from Missouri. This shouldn't take long so I will get him to swing by and get me. I'll see you in the morning at the Bridgestone."

Climbing out of her Prius, I slipped my black leather jacket on against the chill in the air before heading inside. I stopped at the bar ordering a beer glancing around the room. Another thing Elena had frowned about the other day. The fact I drink beer and not the fruity girly drinks. I loved my wine as much as I did whiskey. Hated to break it to her that wasn't changing either. Definitely wasn't giving up good ol Jack Daniels. A couple of fun nights caused by it flashed through my mind making a shiver trace down my spine. Glancing around, I saw the guy I was assuming Elena had been talking about sitting in the middle at a table. His back with broad shoulders was facing me. I walked through the crowd. When I approached him, I laid a hand on his shoulder before smiling down.

"Hey," I said with a beaming smile. "You must be Chris. I'm Becca."

"Yea I think we have established that before," he said with a chuckle as a pair of familiar brown eyes twinkled up at me. Shit, I thought as my stomach turned. I had told Chase this was a business meeting because that was what I thought it was. Yet here I have Chris Young sitting here staring up at me with a puzzled look. I dropped down in the chair across from him with a sigh. My head was already hurting from the argument I knew this was gonna spark. I pinched the bridge of my nose and felt Chris's hand land on my free one that was sitting on the table. "What's the matter Becca?"

"I thought I was meeting a potential drummer," I muttered politely pulling my hand away giving him a quick smile. "At least that was what I was told."

"And I got a call about you possibly wanting to go on tour next year," Chris said shrugging his shoulders. He gave me a big smile. "Didn't realize you had finally decided to record on your own?"